22 | The Calm Before the Storm

[-IMANI POV-]

Wednesday

The drive back home was calming. Not a single worry in my head, not a single concern. Matteo had passive-aggressively persuaded Sam to let him drive me home with his car while he got a ride from Steph which was definitely a sight to see. We were a few minutes away from home and I was almost upset that our time in the car was coming to an end.

"Favorite cereal...and be careful because there is a right answer." I warn.

Matteo's eyes were focused on the long empty road ahead of us as he squinted a bit to think up an answer to the random question. We have been sitting in the car for the past couple of hours asking each other the most random questions that would just spring up in mind. Some would find it silly and a waste of time, but it was comforting getting to know these small things about Matteo.

"Lucky charms," He answers proudly, slowly nodding to himself.

"Eh, wrong. Cinnamon Toast Crunch is the only correct answer." I correct and he scoffs, rolling his eyes a bit at my dramatic statement.

"Cinnamon toast crunch? What are you 5? That's what you fill in your system?" He judges and I'm almost tempted to playfully shove his shoulder, but I go against it since I would like to keep living.

"Me? 5? Aren't you the one who's eating literal rainbow shaped marshmallows with your cereal?" I questions and I watch as the corners of his mouth curve upwards into a dimply smile.

"Okay...you may've got a point," He quietly responds, and I smile from ear to ear.

There's a moment of silence for a bit, a comfortable type of silence, where we just sit in each other's warm presence. I enjoyed these weird little moments with him and wished time would stop and we would just continue with our senseless banter and teasing.

"How did you like the trip?" He asks, turning his head for a moment to meet my eyes. I enjoyed it. So much happened in so little time, one of the issues being it felt like I was at the center of most of it, but still fun nonetheless. They were surprising more welcoming than I thought, and a lot richer than I thought too. Even with the arm stitches and the tears that I had cried the first night there, I enjoyed myself a lot and wish it didn't have to end so soon.

"They were nice," I start off. Matteo turns his head once more, his eyebrow lifted, he must've thought my answer was gonna be the complete opposite.

"I'm being honest. I had...a few rocky moments, but really, I had a great time." I explained and he lets out a breathy chuckle.

"Well, they seemed to like you too, my mom, dad, uncles, and cousins. I could tell they all enjoyed themselves around you." I smile to myself at his comment.