7 | Unwanted Company

[-IMANI POV-]

Monday

"Alright, Bye Ms. Thomson, bye Kevin. See you tomorrow for class." I say goodbye to the third student who left. It was dismissal and I was outside with the students, waiting for their parent to come to me as the students played in the playground. Mikey stayed beside me, sitting on the curb we always sit on while we wait for Matteo, sketching in his notebook. I turn my head away from Mikey and watch as a familiar face approach me with a warm smile.

"Hi Ms. Linda," I greet, and she greets back with a brief hug. I turn my direction towards the playground which wasn't too far. "Charlie! Your mom is here!" I shout and I watch as the short fat kid hop off the swing set and heads towards us. "No running, you know the rules kid." I correct and he immediately starts to walk.

He hugs his mom, and they say their goodbyes to Mikey and me as they walk off. I sit down beside Mikey. "What's the sketch for today?" I ask him and he hides his notebook to his chest.

"It's a secret," he says as he blushes. My mouth hangs open as I try to look offended. "Mikey, you're like my best friend and you won't show me what you're drawing? Wow, I feel so hurt by this." He sighs a frustrated sigh and removes the notebook from off his chest.

"Oh, who's this? A little love interest?" I ask, teasing the small, dimpled boy. His cheeks burn a deeper shade of red as I taunt him. "Who is this?" I ask pointing to the second figure that was standing besides, what I would presume is Mikey. "You promise you won't tell?" He asks and I nod with my pinky out.

"It's Danny," He shyly admits as he intertwined our pinkies. Danny was another one of my students. Danny was a small quiet Hispanic boy who had some of the curliest hair I've ever seen on a kid. I look out at the field of running trolls people call children and spot Danny on one of the slides. "He's really funny, and cool, and popular, and one time he invited me to his house to play video games and he was so nice to me." Mikey says, his finger twirling and playing with the hem of his white uniformed shirt.

"I get that, Danny does seem pretty cool," I agree, and Mikey smiles up at me.

Before we could talk any more about Mikey's class crush, I hear a pair of heels down the corridor. I turn my head and see a woman I've never seen before in the 4 months I've been working here. Her mid length brunette hair swung alongside with the wind as she was walking straight towards our direction. Her brown eyes were barley visible with the way her black sunglasses hung lowly at the edge of her perfect nose. Her pink glossed lips give me a small, sweet smile as she stops in front of me.

"Hi, how can I help you?" I ask, my eyebrows pinched together. She didn't need to answer, because as soon as Mikey looks up from his notebook, he immediately jumps up and runs to hug this woman.