What a snake!

Bai Shuyin drew a crooked line on the ground as she stood outside of the Tea House's backyard that led down to the alley. Kicking pebbles became another one of her hobbies this afternoon. 

The sun was striking, sending rays of blinding lights across the horizon and Bai Shuyin was burning from it. Sooner or later, she was going to get toasted. No more Bai Shuyin, but Hei Shuyin instead.  

She almost snorted at her own inside joke. 

Despite how narrow and chill the alleyway should be, the sunlight still managed to peek through between the houses. 

Bai Shuyin wiped her sweat, white hair stuck on her face. Her long white hair wasn't as straight and tameable as it looked, it was thick and shaggy. 

She looked at those women who wore hairpins proudly in their hair and could only drink vinegar on the inside. Hairpins were only worn by nobles due to their unreasonable prices, some got them through heritage as well or a family heirloom. 

The only ribbon she bought was used on the little bun, which reminded her all over again. 'Where the hell is that little guy?' 

He seemed to vanish once she let go of his hand in the middle of the crowd. He wasn't even in their room when she got back after giving the South Wu Kingdom's Crown Prince a detour. 

Though, she thought that she shouldn't be worried as he knew the layout of this city much better than her. He had it covered in the first week of their stay. 

Bai Shuyin pouted, if only he were here, she could ask him to do her a favor by transforming into a makeshift fan so she wouldn't have dehydrated here. 

"--Royal Highness, your coming from afar is really a pleasure for us." Madam He said with a polite smile on her face. Her demeanor seemed to suddenly soften a lot that Bai Shuyin scoffed inwardly. 

Bai Shuyin jumped at the voices coming through beside her. She had been daydreaming to not notice the door had slid open.

Calming her heart, she turned towards the source of voices, catching sight of both Wu Jiangfeng and Madam He, followed by the silent bodyguard of the Crown Prince, stepping out of the Tea House. 'Look at her being so polite unlike the tigress she was.' 

"Thank you for your regards, Madam He. I am the one who should apologize for coming earlier." Wu Jiangfeng's voice trailed out next. 

Oh, right. The reason she was standing here, letting every single liquid in her body evaporate and shrivel up like a dry leave, was just to wait for these two to finish discussing confidential stuff. 

She didn't think it was really confidential anywhat with how everyone in the Tea House was when they acted like they had been injected with chicken blood. It was just like a public secret for these nosy buddies.

'Confidential, my ass.' Bai Shuyin grumbled. 'They are probably just discussing accommodations and transports.' 

"Your Royal Highness, please," Madam He smiled as she walked towards Bai Shuyin who straightened up in reflexes. Madam He then gestured towards Bai Shuyin and spoke. "I'm sure Your Royal Highness fully knows who this is." 

"This is Bai Shuyin. An unfortunate child born out of my beloved deceased servant, who was already weak since birth. Giving birth only managed to deteriorate her body and finally it was incurable." Madam He said with a heavy heart, she even fanned herself with her signature fan as if trying to chase away the tears. 

'What the--' Bai Shuyin felt her eyebrows twitch. 'What the hell is this old woman going on about?' 

"Even though it was a risk for her, no one could stop the love of a mother to bring such a wonderful life to this world," She sniffed before continuing. "If only she could live longer, she would have seen how beautiful her child had grown." 

Wu Jiangfeng nodded with concealed compassion, but Bai Shuyin noticed how his eyes had softened a lot and filled with sympathy when they turned to her. 

'...Oi, oi.' Bai Shuyin knew what Madam He was thinking. She didn't want to be scorned for employing a young child as a servant, hence this story was miraculously born. 

"Out of the kindness of my heart, I took in this child and raised her myself, thinking of her as one of my own," Madam He crouched to rub her head affectionately before suddenly grasping her small shoulders. "Is Xiao Yin okay? I was so worried when I heard you were in trouble!" 

Startled, Bai Shuyin blinked. "Madam--" 

"That will be my mistake, Madam He," Wu Jiangfeng suddenly spoke up. "If I had known she was one of yours, I wouldn't let the peasant go that easily."  

"Please don't mention it, Your Royal Highness. Being able to see Xiao Yin back healthy is already enough for me. I wouldn't dare ask for more." She bowed towards Wu Jiangfeng as she thanked him, and in the next second she spoke to Bai Shuyin again. "Do you still have the money? Why don't you go and get another new set of clothes for yourself, hm?" 

When Wu Jiangfeng heard those words, Madam He had already made a good impression on him. 

"Madam He, please let me," Wu Jiangfeng said. 

"You may have saved Xiao Yin's life, but are you saying that I couldn't even afford some clothes for her?" 

Bai Shuyin who stayed silent throughout only gaped at her. The audacity Madam He had. How could she talk like that towards a handsome Crown Prince like Wu Jiangfeng!  

"Please don't misunderstand, Madam He. I'm just trying to mend my mistake. You don't need to feel indebted to me, you don't have the reason to." 

Madam He looked like she was about to rebuke but Wu Jiangfeng cut her through. "Please, I insist."

Madam He made an expression akin to displeasure, like she couldn't do anything against the Crown Prince and reluctance, but in this close distance, Bai Shuyin could see how the corner of her lips curled up a little underneath the fan. 

It was unbelievable how much of a snake she could be. Madam He actually managed to rope the crown prince to buy Bai Shuyin's clothes instead of using her own.

'This woman is terrifying.'