Do you believe in reincarnation? (1)

The sky was tinge in orange hue as the sun descended unhurriedly off to the beyond. It sank down between tall, majestic mountains that littered the outskirts of Northern Li continent. Bai Shuyin stood at the edge of the bell tower, hands against the beautifully designed railings that was built like a fortress to prevent any casualties. 

Wind blew past her, gently fanning her white long strands. Her cerulean eyes watched the clouds stretched into cotton fluffs, dispersing sparsely across the sky. It was the scenery Bai Shuyin occasionally stared listlessly at during her high school days. 

It used to bring the feeling of serenity through her, though she wasn't feeling the same right now. 

The white-haired girl casually took out the hairpin from her inner robes and stared at the object in hand. The more she looked at it, the more ridiculous she felt. She had actually rushed over after taking a long shower! Now she smelt like blossoms, so very fragrant as if she wanted to captivate the prince. 

Bai Shuyin knocked, not so gently, the blunt end of the hairpin against her forehead multiple times. 

Oh come on, spare her. Never in her previous life had she gone on a date before. She went flying before she could! At least she smooched with truck-kun, Bai Shuyin groaned at how absurd it sounded. 

'Wait— is this even a date?' 

Why did she label this meeting… as a date?! 

It definitely was not! How could she be riled up by a few old ancient-like pick up lines? Who wanted to be your empress? She had much more nitty-gritty of a duty to accomplish! Like… Like enrolling Wang Heiyue at the imperial examination! She had been too focused on her own personal matter that it slipped past her mind. 

Gosh! Bubble milk tea sounded really good right now. That particular sweet drink had accompanied her up and down; they had overcome every obstacle together, winds and rains. It was her best companion during high school bad days. 

Bai Shuyin really missed the taste of the burning and melting brown sugar and chewy texture of the tapioca balls. The closest thing she could get in this place was glutinous rice and that wasn't even similar enough!

The inconveniences living in this time were out of the world. She couldn't even find pads when she first experienced her first monthly water. The white haired girl was devastated when she saw blood dripping down her thighs. Never once had she read any novels or manhwas or manhuas or whatever it was that explained how to deal with this kind of situation. 

*Monthly water = Periods/menstruations.*

It was so bizarre everytime she recalled that incident. Bai Shuyin sighed into the palm of her other hand, the other still holding onto the hairpin, leaning her weight against the railings. 

Again, was she too early or was the prince tardy? 

Though she didn't feel like complaining. The hum of the wind, the chirping of the birds, the loud chatters of the marketplace, the echoes of yipping and barkings of dogs in the distance washed over her in soothingly. The view itself from the high tower was brilliant. 

She closed her eyes, enjoying the atmosphere as if she went into a meditative state. She didn't know how long she had been standing here for as the sounds eventually faded out, but she wasn't lost enough in her own mind to not hear the soft, almost inaudible creaks of floorboards being stepped upon. 

Once, then twice. Whoever it was, it couldn't be Wu Jiangfeng. That man had no reason to sneak upon her like this. That Southern Prince had always made his presence known before he even arrived. This one right here, tried to keep their presence to the bare minimum like they never put their full weight on each step they took.

The footsteps didn't stop and Bai Shuyin could feel them getting closer and closer. She snapped her eyes open, the hand holding the jade item immediately snaking between her sleeves, coming up with a tiny dagger she had kept hidden. 

She could have easily knocked that old butcher before if only she didn't want to make a scene. However, right now, there was no one spectating. 

The girl could feel the vibrating footsteps. She kept her breathing low and her ears open, her fingers curling tightly around the handle. 

Suddenly, Bai Shuyin whipped around, her arm snapping out with the dagger in hand, tip aimed to drive sharply into the unknown person who had crept close enough for her to strike. 

The air was tense as the figure pulled out his own weapon to retaliate. A loud, thundering clang resonated as the two weapons clashed. 

None of them let go of their stance, swords intertwining as they fought to gain an upper hand. The white haired girl was about to shoot forward when the color red entered her vision. 

"…Your Royal Highness?"

"Tell me," The Southern Prince started off, turning on Bai Shuyin as his power flared warningly, "Who are you?" 

"I…" Bai Shuyin gulped, she could feel his violet eyes stared into her. Her hand trembled from sustaining the weight of the other's as the prince kept pressing his own dagger down. 

She wanted to look away from the intensity of his stare as it was hindering her from coming up with an excuse. Who was she? She questioned herself as well. She was just a canon fodder who will meet her end sooner or later. Or maybe right now, right here. 

"I will ask again; who exactly are you?" Wu Jiangfeng repeated, his voice hard as he narrowed his eyes dangerously. "The way you handle your blade, you are no amateur." 

Bai Shuyin tried not to let her panic show. 

"I have been thinking long enough to be feeling quite frustrated— Such a raw power and translucent energy of the Vermillion Bird, you are able to recognise it at the first glance," He said and there were chills in his voice. "You, of all people." 

"Or better," He continued. "You knew who I was despite seeing me for the first time."