A reluctant apology

It was mid-afternoon and everyone was minding their own business per usual,  except for one little midget. Bai Shuyin took a bowl from the pile of dirty dishes, scrubbing the oily surface. Rinsing it before she stacked them on the other side where the cleaned ones were. She hummed as she did her job, trying her best to ignore the stare sent her way. It had been drilling onto her back for hours. 

With how high the intensity he invested in that stare, it made her wonder how her back was still intact and not melt under his gaze. When she threw that little bun a questioning glance, he would flash a somewhat stiff smile at her. 

To be honest, none of these staring obsessions was new to Bai Shuyin. It didn't even bother her anymore. This little guy had been doing it ever since she stepped into this world, which she just brushed it off as a bad habit. She labeled it as one of his early psychopathic tendencies and that was it. 

Wang Heiyue never did anything more than that. He never tortured small animals either which she believed was the first sign she should noticed if he had any of these impulses. 

As she mentioned before, none of the staring bothered her. The only thing that annoyed her was the continuous movements he made as he idly swung them around. The swinging legs that entered her peripheral vision were starting to distract her. 

It wasn't even rhythmical. The sequence was off and Bai Shuyin had an incredible urge to guess when he would move them and when he didn't, she would feel an immense suffocation for holding a breath far too long. 

Bai Shuyin let out a long, long suffering sigh. She gotta give that brat something to do before the volcano in her experienced eruption. 

"Hey lazybum, go fetch your sister some water." The white-haired girl dunked the half-empty bucket of water into the wooden basin where a few more dirty dishes laid to be rinsed and handed it to the boy. 

Without a word, the little dragon hopped down from the table he was perched on, doing as told. No longer as big as the bucket, he effortlessly lifted it up and did the task given. Her cerulean eyes strained towards the bandage-wrapped hand, thinking if she should cut him some slacks but decided against it. 

That little bum deserved none of her pity after everything he had done. 

'How dare he step on that hairpin?! Accidentally, my ass,' Bai Shuyin grumbled, scrubbing the plate vigorously. What was she supposed to say? How was she gonna give it back if there was an extra line decorating the jade hairpin? Who wants damaged goods back? 

Maybe this was a good sign for her to execute the well-prepared agenda she had. The young girl groaned, her soapy hands gripped the sides of the plate she was washing out. The only thing hindering her the whole time was her bleeding heart. She was unwilling. She couldn't bear the thought of facing the prince after knowing what she had done in the future, not when the prince was being so pure and genuine at showing his affection. 

Bai Shuyin didn't even know what she did to receive such attention as well! The white-haired girl was a hundred percent certain she was a mere cannon fodder of the novel!

The sound of low thudding noises entered her ears. She turned her head slightly to see Wang Heiyue returned with a bucket full of water, shuffling as he carried it over to her. The water inside slushed left and right from his movements. After heaving the water-filled bucket next to her, the 'thank you' on the tip of her tongue was held back when she was met with tear-stained puppy eyes. 

"W—What's wrong?" Alarmed, Bai Shuyin rinsed her hands free of soap and patted them on her thighs, dampening her own robes until they were dry that she then touched the little crying bun.

***

Wang Heiyue easily carried the bucket, shuffling out of the kitchen through the back. The moment he knew he was nowhere near eyeshot of his sister, he dropped his relaxed composure. 

His mind was in turmoil despite all the smiles he flashed at Bai Shuyin. The little dragon single-handedly hauled the empty bucket near the well, at the far end of the backyard in the tea house. 

Did she just describe who he thought it was? The black abyss of his eyes narrowed. Wasn't it too much of a coincidence that she managed to perfectly characterize the Crown Prince of Eastern Wang? 

He was a hundred percent sure she had never met him before. He had stuck to her like glue to figure out all her routines during the day and night, that was enough to convince him she knew nothing of that man. 

By the time Wang Heiyue made it to his destination, he had shaken off all his suspicions. However, one problem remained. 

The damn hairpin. 

He sucked a breath between his teeth as he hurled the bucket down, taking it out on the poor object. 

How dare that red flying creature? Did he find the pleasure in messing up his life from time to time? Previously, it was Li Fantong, now his Yin Yin! 

Grumbling, he went over to grab the rope, only to realize his short structure was unable to reach it. He was used to being a hundred-something centimeters taller than he was now. He couldn't even grab the rope without climbing on the edge of the ceramic well. 

Anger and irritation bubbled inside him. Despite living in this small body over the years, he thought he might get used to it again, the fact that he couldn't, only fueled the rage burning in him. 

He slammed his fist against the well, destroying the tall ceramic wall surrounding the well. He never intended for it to crack the moment he landed a hit, but it did. 

Uneven lines started to appear really quickly before they shattered completely. The clinking sound of ceramic falling was piercing and violent, Wang Heiyue quickly checked his surroundings, fearing the sisters or even Yin Yin heard it. 

It was fortunate the well was a bit far away and the business distracted them. 

Wang Heiyue looked at the broken pieces, shattered all over the ground. At least now, on the plus side, he never needed to climb over to take hold of the rope anymore. 

His knuckles burnt from smashing the ceramic to pieces as he pulled the rope, hauling water from beneath, accidentally cutting his palm open when he tried to tug the pail of water up to fill the bucket. 

"I hate this body," He hissed out angrily, running the uninjured hand through his bangs. 

He studied the blood dribbling out of the open wound. Fascinated by such a simple process. A thought suddenly entered his mind, a brilliant idea in his sense. 

He was going to make use of this injury to the fullest.