Guilt tripping in action!

Bai Shuyin picked on her rice, moving them around in her bowl. The rice was plump and they clung together. The food today somewhat tasted bland in her mouth, despite dousing her bowl of rice with the savory sauce from the stir-fried vegetables. 

How was she going to face Wu Jiangfeng today? What was she supposed to say? Not only she planned on rejecting, but that cute little bun of a dragon actually stepped on it and made a crack?!

Curses were on the tip of her tongue, threatening to spill out, yet she didn’t have the heart to scold him. It was just a small and silly mistake. A young boy who wasn’t fully awake stepped on the unsuspected item on the floor, if it was anyone’s mistake, it was hers. She should have kept it inside her storage bag, not taking it to bed with her. 

Who would have thought that she might sleep like a damn helicopter and spin around in the middle of the night? 

As Bai Shuyin was debating whether to just ditch the crimson prince or accept the hairpin, she noticed something from the corner of her eyes. 

Bai Shuyin stared at the mountain high pile of vegetables inside her bowl. It kept on getting higher and higher and there was no indication of stopping at all. Her cerulean eyes narrowed and followed the movement of the chopsticks that weaved in and out, coming with a piece and leaving empty, rinse and repeat. 

“…” It took her a minute longer to observe before she opened her mouth to question the unprecedented behavior. “…What are you doing?” 

When another string of vegetables held by Wang Heiyue’s chopsticks came close, Bai Shuyin raised her hand to block it. “You know I resent vegetables.” 

“You only say that cause you want me to eat healthier,” The dragon said back without missing a beat. 

“I did not.” 

“Yin Yin did.” 

“Oh, talking back now, huh?” Bai Shuyin raised an eyebrow, hand pushing the incoming vegetables. “And I did not!” 

“Hmm…” Wang Heiyue drawled out quietly. “This is hard,” He tilted his head slightly, sucking the air behind his teeth like he had to make a life-and-death decision. “Yin Yin doesn’t like meat either.” 

Bai Shuyin actually swallowed at the mere mention of meat, yet her ego was pretty much bigger than her stomach. Noting that she had to make an essay begging her stomach forgiveness for not being able to fulfill it’s wish, with reluctance she dragged her words, “Righhtttt…. so eat it all for your sister, alright?” 

During their times in the woods, it was much easier to acquire meat. You wanted meat, you hunted, but that wasn’t the case in the city. There was a price to everything and meat was more on the pricey side. Bai Shuyin would have to admit that Madam He had a little bit of humanity left in her for providing them free lunches from the leftovers. 

If there were any meat in the menu, she would always give her share to Wang Heiyue with that kind of excuse. The snowy haired transmigrator felt like these little white lies were going to be a huge boomerang in the future. 

Wang Heiyue’s chopsticks of vegetables hovered, unsure where to put them. He had no choice but to put it in his own bowl. He quietly said, “But Yin Yin is too thin…” 

Bai Shuyin reached over and ruffled the little dragon’s bangs before tugging them playfully. “Worry about yourself first, midget. You haven't even reached my shoulder yet.” 

Wang Heiyue pouted and Bai Shuyin quickly had the scene imprinted in her mind. When was the last time she saw him pout and whine? She felt like it had been awhile. Bai Shuyin poked at his cheeks before going back to her rice. “By the way, what happened to your hand?” 

“Hand?” Wang Heiyue raised his bandaged one. 

“Mn-hmm,” Bai Shuyin nodded. “I didn’t see it yesterday.” 

Even though she considered herself to be an overprotective one, she felt like she shouldn’t fuss about small wounds. In fact, she liked it more if this little villain would grow up independently and unafraid and not pampered at all. Ignoring the little voices chiding her that she had spoiled him rotten since the first time she came to this world. 

“Maybe because Yin Yin is too busy going on dates.” Wang Heiyue puffed up his cheeks. “Yin Yin forgot alllll about me.” 

“Who’s going on a— cough!” Bai Shuyin choked on her vegetables, the saltiness almost blind her with tears. “Have you been following me?!” She hissed. “And that’s not a date at all!” 

Wang Heiyue actually sniffed and the older girl looked mortified at that. He brought his bandaged hand to his chest and mumbled how it hurted a lot. If he planned on guilt-tripping her, it worked— a hundred percent! It made her felt bad for leaving him on his own accord these few days and spent time with Wu Jiangfeng. 

Normally she would be in her room, helping him patch up if he ever comes back with any wounds. Somehow, guilt boiled beneath Bai Shuyin’s skin. 

“Look—” Bai Shuyin started only to be cut off by loud squealing. 

“KYAAA!!” 

“—What do you see?” 

“Oh, come onnnn, tell us, tell us!” 

“Yeah! Don’t be so stingy!” 

“Spill, spill!” 

Sitting in the corner, at the back of the kitchen, Bai Shuyin could clearly hear the loud squealing of her co-workers. They must be talking about the playdate. It happened early in the morning and Bai Shuyin wasn’t even a little bit curious at all. Well, maybe a little bit. That curiosity did take an ounce of concern she had on said hairpin.  

Bai Shuyin didn’t even need to strain her ears to eavesdrop, they were talking excessively loudly so that she could hear them miles away. However, the conversation went in a completely different direction. 

“You are lying to us—?”

“Gosh, you’re so annoying!” 

“What the hell is wrong with you?” 

“You are useless as always!”