XX

5/6 - Friday - Lunchtime

Ren's POV

It was supposed to be a normal school day... but he ended up in the Velvet Room before he got up from bed.

He never found it appealing to just end up in the Velvet Room all of the sudden during his bedtime, but he didn't exactly hate it either. It was between the lines of "I know I'm here for an important reason so I'll allow it" and "Stop invading my dreams, dammit".

He woke up in his prison bunk while wearing his prisoner garb and having his hands and legs in chains. Ren wondered if Cloud ended up wearing those as well when he first entered. But that was a thought for another time. For now, he had important business.

"Hello, again." Igor said. "First off, I'd like to begin by congratulating you."

"To think our master would give words of praise..." Justine muttered.

"You better treasure this moment, Inmate!" Caroline shouted at Ren as if he didn't even deserve them. He always hated how Caroline would be so cocky with him.

"You have encountered allies who share your ideals, and you have found your place in reality." Igor continued. "The time has come. Your rehabilitation will soon begin."

Ren frowned. "I still don't understand what you mean." he said. "What do you mean by 'rehabilitation'?"

He longed for the explanation of why Igor chose him of all people to be 'rehabilitated'. He hoped that one day, Igor would go tell him the reason. Today was that day.

"I shall explain it to you now." he said. "You have a special potential. However, that must be refined into a useful power. It is weak now, but refining it shall grant you the strength to stand against the coming ruin. That is the rehabilitation cast upon you."

"Coming ruin?" Ren asked. He sort of understood the strength part. The ruin was just straight up confusing though. What exactly was he supposed to face in the near future?

"There are various means by which you may gain the power to resist the ruin." Igor replied, completely ignoring his question. "Fighting Shadows and gaining experience is one way. The fusion process I taught you prior is another."

"This is all possible because of our master's guidance, Inmate!" Caroline said.

"Though it may be presumptuous of us," Justine said, "we have words of wisdom as well."

"When you're out in reality, you better hone your relationships with those you have contracts with."

"Spending time with those people will lead to the cultivation of your relationships with them."

"If you got time to waste, you better visit your contractors, Inmate!"

"That is another source of power to evade the ruin that our master has mentioned."

So... in short, hang out with my friends, Ren assumed. Igor said at one point that honing his relationships with other people would allow him to learn new abilities.

As far as he could tell, had a few Confidants right now: Morgana, Ryuji, Ann, and even Igor himself. Each time they bond, there's a chance Ren would learn something new.

"Thanks to the contracts you've formed, your heart is steadily gaining the power of opposition." Igor said as if reading his mind. "It seems the rehabilitation is going well. This is a truly joyous occasion. I shall grant you an ability befitting of your newfound growth. Consider it a gift. May your devotion to your rehabilitation grow deeper. I have high hopes for you."