𝟎𝟑 FIRST SUSPECT

▎⌕ November 8, 1983 ꒷꒦

   IT DIDNT TAKE LONG for people to notice that the king of Hawkins High was strangely absent for the second time in a row. It certainly didn't take long for people to start teasing Nancy that she was the cause of his sudden disappearance. News of her going on a date with Mingyu spread like syrup on hot pancakes; messy and quick. She soon became known as the first girl to ever be ditched and scare the Mingyu Smith on a date. And that wasn't a great feat.

Rumors of her being so uninteresting and weird during her date with Mingyu was all that people were talking about. Nancy was humiliated by how everyone was painting her as some weirdo off main street. She couldn't even walk through the halls without feeling hundreds of eyes peering at her and whispering amongst themselves. This made the attention she used to crave irritate her for the first time.

In a boring state of mind, Nancy mindlessly stabbed her worksheet with her wooden pencil continuously as she sat dazed from everything. Her mind was so out of it that she didn't catch the multiple call-outs her English teacher made.

"Nancy Reed!"

Nancy was lightly nudged by Lua, "Nancy." She softly muttered causing Nancy to snap her head in her friend's direction. Lua pointed toward the front of the classroom making Nancy turn and quickly stand.

"Yes, Mrs. Ramirez!" She answered her voice slightly raised louder than normal.

Mrs. Ramirez smiled embarrassed that her student was blatantly not paying any attention to her in front of the principal and police. Clearing her throat she motioned toward the two police officers beside her. "Can you quickly pack your things and follow Mr. Rogan."

Nancy's eyes went wide when she finally noticed the pair of officers and principal by her teacher. She was utterly confused about why they wanted to speak with her but nonetheless, she did as she was told. Once she had gathered all her things and walked in front of the class did Nancy start to feel the piercing stares everyone was giving her.

Subconsciously she buckled her shoulders together shrinking her figure becoming uncomfortable with the situation. To get out of their sight faster she quickened her steps and followed the principal to the empty cafeteria where she was surprised by seeing her mother and Chief Miller's appearance.

Nancy sat by her mother in front of the chief still confused by what was going on. "Is something wrong?" She couldn't help but ask.

"We're just here to ask you a few questions regarding Mingyu Smith if that's alright." Chief Miller stated clearing the air for Nancy who hesitantly glanced at her mother.

Her mother grabbed her hand encouragingly, "Just tell him the truth sweetie."

"Okay."

"When was the last time you talked to Mingyu?" He politely questioned.