Chapter 3: A Bitter Anniversary

If someone asked me to describe the room given to me in one word, I would say it's comfortable

A large double-sized bed is positioned in a way that is the first thing you would see. A small dresser lines a small section of the wall to the left of the bed and on the right side is a small table topped with a candle and a vase of fresh daisies probably picked from the field outside of town because I can't see these heavenly flowers being grown here in town.

A long yawn breaks its way out from my lips and my body shakes with it. Placing my boots next to the doorframe, I waste no time in getting into bed. Settling under the warm blanket and resting my weary head on the soft pillow it takes me a total of ten seconds to fall into a deep and peaceful slumber.

 Settling under the warm blanket and resting my weary head on the soft pillow it takes me a total of ten seconds to fall into a deep and peaceful slumber

The sky around the castle is dark and gloomy. Like a land on the brink of being attacked by a violent storm, you know the ones with thunder that rattles so bad it sounds like the roof is about to crack in half and fall apart and lighting that lights up the sky so bright that for a split second you would swear it was day. But, this is a storm that rarely comes leaving behind a dark and angry-looking sky.

I hate but love looking at it. It's like all my emotions are being projected onto the sky. Like I'm not so alone in my anger and disappointment.

This land belonged to my father and his father before him and before him, going back sixteen generations of my family. I was supposed to take care of it and rule it as a king but I failed miserably. This castle and the area around it is a shallow corpse of what it used to be.

"Is everything alright, Your Highness?" Maurie my most faithful servant ever since I was a young boy asks from the doorway.

I am not at all surprised that Maurie is the one who came to check on me. When I am in these moods the only two people who come even remotely close to me are Maurie and Belle.

Belle. my love. my rose. The woman who has stood by my side all this time no matter what I have said in flashes of rage. The woman who gave me a rose that would give me the opportunity for this curse to break and for me to become the prince I used to be again.