Chapter 43: The Risky Request

Tap!

Tap!

Tap!

Tap!

Tap!

"Seriously," I groan. I yank my pillow out from under my head and plop it right over me stuffing it as tight against my ears as I can in a desperate, yet futile, attempt to drown out the sound of whatever creature is trying to get into my room.

Tap!

Tap!

Tap!

Tap!

Tap!

"I swear to God I'm gonna stab this thing," I scream into my mattress hoping that perhaps the high volume of my voice will chase this nuisance away. Much to my dismay it doesn't and the creature, probably a bird, continues to tap at the glass right beside my bed.

Eventually giving in to its relentless pursuit for my attention. I fling my pillow onto the floor and with my blanket still partially wrapped around my legs I lazily waddle over to the window. Gripping the curtains with both hands I slide them both open at the same time once again hoping that the small action will scare the creature away. But once again it doesn't budge.

Sighing, I look down at the bird that is perched by the window its small beak still leaning against the glass.

"Shoo! Go away," I tell it as I wave my arms trying to scare it.

But the third time isn't the charm and the bird stays where it is with its beak still against the window and its small and beady eyes looking up at me. It's only when I reach for the latch to open the window that I notice the envelope tied to its leg with a black ribbon.

"I'm guessing that's for me."

I open the window and the bird hops closer to me. Being as gentle as possible I untie the envelope from its leg. The second I have the envelope and ribbon in my hand the bird spins around and flies away at an insane speed.

"Rude didn't even say goodbye."

I quickly shut the window before more cold air could rush into my small room. Glancing at the blank envelope I slowly make my way to my bed where I flop down onto my back.

Who are you from, I think as I look up at the blank object in my hand. This wouldn't be from my mother since she hasn't sent me anything in over a month and she would use a post service rather than a bird. It's certainly not from my aunt for the same reasons as my mom and neither of my brothers is smart enough to use a bird, not to mention literate enough to write a letter.

Eventually, I reach for the knife tucked under my mattress and run it through the sealed part of the envelope effortlessly slicing it open. I carefully remove the folded piece of paper from the envelope before chucking it to the floor. Anxious to see who has written to me this time I unfold the paper. As soon as my eyes trail over the curly words my heart sinks and a pit forms in my stomach. I know this writing anywhere.