Chapter 38: Bits of Blue

The storm continues to rage like a wild animal that has been released from its cage after years of captivity. The windows vibrate and small chips of the ceiling break off and coat our jackets in white powder each time the clouds above us engage in their fistfight. Maurie and I stand silently by the window watching in awe as rain plummets to the earth like soldiers running into battle. Large black clouds tumble and crack and long, violent streaks of lightning crack the sky in half. 

"How long do the storms here usually last?" I ask. A cool breeze seeps through the cracks in the window floating right past me. I pull my arms tightly around me to try and combat the cold shivers that are dancing up and down my spine. 

Another flash of lightning cracks outside lighting up the dark room. "At least a couple of hours, so I guess you're stuck here until it calms down."

I scoff and shuffle away from the window. "I guess so. Too bad I don't have my knife collection."

"Why would you want your knife collection?" he asks. 

The concern in his voice makes me want to laugh but  I decide not to in case he starts thinking I'm a psycho killer or something. 

"It's not what you think. I've been collecting knives since I was young, about six or seven and... This sounds strange now that I'm saying it out loud, but they keep me calm. Holding them I feel like there is nothing in this world that can hurt me."

The corners of his lips turn up into a smile. "I suppose that makes sense." 

"I think it makes perfect sense," says a deep voice from the doorway. 

Maurie and I turn to face what used to be an empty doorway. Henry casually leans against the doorframe with his arms crossed over his chest. 

Looking into his almost human-like eyes I smile and laugh. "Well, at least one of you doesn't think I'm crazy," I say as I side-eye Maurie. Henry laughs, and Maurie shakes his head and dismissively waves his arms. 

"So, I'm guessing you're stuck here due to the," he points to the window, "storm that seems to be getting worse." 

As if the storm could hear and understand him the loudest roar of thunder echoes all around us, the force of the shock is so hard that a book falls off the shelf closest to the window. 

"Talk louder I don't think the Gods heard you enough," I say as I roll my eyes. 

He laughs. "How was I supposed to know that would happen as I said that?" 

I walk over to him with a giggle and punch his shoulder playfully. He responds by giving me a quick and playful shove on my back. Leaning against the wall behind him I listen closely to the faint sound of laughter coming from downstairs. 

"Is Amelie laughing downstairs?" I ask without looking at either of the men behind me. I know it has to be Amelie because nobody else had such a bubbly laugh. 

"Yes, she sent me up here to see if you two wanted to join us," Henry says.

I turn around to face him now curious about what is going on. "Join you for what?" Now it was my turn to be weary. But Maurie's smile settles my nerves ever so slightly. 

"It's a game we play whenever there is a storm," Maurie says. 

"Amelie introduced us to it. She used to play it when she was a child."

"What is this game exactly?" 

Henry smiles and loops my arm with his. "Come on, you'll love it." 

I don't protest and allow him to walk me down the stairs with Maurie trailing closely behind us. He leads me into the entrance hall area where Miss Potts, Amelie, Fabienne and Charles are all standing as still as statues.