Chapter 50: The Stormy Night

Boom!  Thunder rattles the sky shaking the clouds

Boom!  Thunder rattles the sky shaking the clouds. Crack!  Lightening flashes through the sky pushing back the darkness and splitting the sky into jagged pieces. Plop!  Rain tumbles down from the sky smacking everything in its path including us. 

"Can you run any slower?" he yells over another boom of thunder. 

"Well excuse me for trying not to slip on the wet floor and break my neck," I snap. 

The wind, which only five minutes ago was nothing more than a gentle breeze, has picked up wiping the threes around and threatening to take my only jacket with it. I press my jacket tighter over my head blocking whatever bits of rain I could. 

Another round of roaring thunder rattles through the sky and shakes the clouds. The drizzle of rain turned to spatter and then suddenly a hailstorm. Small chunks of ice start plummeting from above. 

"Ow!" I scream as one hits my arm. 

"Are you okay?" 

"I'll be better once we get inside."

Squinting my eyes to peep through the rain I watch as Beast sprints ahead of me. I gasp when he almost slips on the stairs but manages to regain composure and makes it to the front door. 

"Come on, voleuse!" he calls out his voice carried with the wind. 

Picking up speed I start closing the distance between me and the door, but for some reason the closer I get the more heavy I feel and the slower I seem to go.

"Why are you slowing down?" I hear Beast call out to me. 

Opening my mouth to respond I'm shocked when nothing comes out. I try again and again to call out for help only for nothing to come out all while with every step I take my body is moving slower and slower until suddenly it stops and I'm frozen in place. 

"Voleuse, what are you doing?"

A flash of lighting. Crack of thunder. Plop of rain and the thud of hail. I can't move. I can't talk. I can't do anything but watch in horror as Beast stands by the door screaming at me begging me to move or say something. But I can't. 

The hail stops but something is still falling around me.  Something hard. Only being able to move my eyes I glance down at the piece of whatever just fell next to my feet. My eyes widen as fear flows through me as I realize that it's a piece of stone. Another falls this one just missing my ear by no more than two millimeters. Looking up I try to locate the source of the falling debris and it doesn't take me long before I spot the stone gargoyle shifting from its perch sending bits of stone toppling to the ground. 

"Valerie, what are you doing?" 

Walking away from the door and down the slippery steps he looks at me trying his best to figure out what is going on. Unable to use my voice I move my eyes up and down trying to get him to notice the gargoyle that is so close to falling on top of me.