Chapter 26: Not an Idle Threat

The shards of glass tear open my skin as I pick them up one by one

The shards of glass tear open my skin as I pick them up one by one. The warm blood from my wound pools in my palm before gently trickling down the lines in my hands and pooling on the wooden floor.  My fingers tingle as I put the pieces on top of one another, each of the shards is flooded with an intense power that will make connecting them back together much more manageable than if it were a regular mirror.  As soon as I pick up the last part of the mirror I rush to my table and set out the pieces to form the shape they held before I there it to the floor. 

Hovering my bloody palms above the broken pieces I close my eyes and take a deep breath. 

"Unir," I whisper as I breathe out and with only my thumb, pointer and middle finger stretched out I flick my hands. 

The whisper echoes off the stone walls which vibrate as the spell instantly takes effect. The shards of glass glow in a bright white hue and make a loud snapping sound as they float into the air and smash back together. 

With the mirror back together the magic within it is fully restored, and thick tendrils of white mist circle the interior spinning round and round in a motion that creates a whirlpool of sorts. 

Grasping its golden handle that feels as cold as ice I bring the mirror up and peer into it. As my eyes move to follow the mist I fall into a minor trance, my mind becoming blank and my heart filled with one desire and one only me the Beast. 

Please show me the Beast.

The tendrils of mist fly away and the figure of the Beast appears in the now clear mirror. Smiling I watch him frantically pace back and forth in front of the lit fireplace in his messy chambers muttering to himself about the decision he made to allow the girl to return to the castle when she wanted to. 

Relief floods me as I listen to him speak to himself. 

"What were you thinking?" 

"She could kill you." 

"What if she tries to steal from you again?" 

"What if she doesn't actually want to help?" 

I couldn't have wished for a better reaction from him. His indecisiveness will come in handy later when I move on with my plan to sweep the girl away. I can use it to manipulate him to either ban her from the castle or kill her if I decide it has to go in that direction. 

Satisfied with what I had seen I shift my focus away from him and toward my next problem of the evening- Maurie. Pesky, uncontrollable, relentless Maurie who despite years and years of failure refuses to give up on his silly quest to find the cure to the curse. 

He is the reason this girl will keep coming here so naturally, he is a key piece in keeping her away. 

With my new desire in mind, the image of the Beast fades out of view and is replaced by Maurie. He is still in his office, alone and bent over his desk reading through the recent additions he has added to his search to find the cure.