Chapter 28: A Nervous Gaston and Hunting Traps

"I'm telling you two someone has been breaking into my house!" Gaston yells. 

Adrien and I remain silent watching the old and slightly drunk man pace back and forth while muttering a string of words we simply can't seem to follow. Just over an hour ago Gaston pulled us off the streets, shoved us onto his couch and started rambling about how he is convinced someone is breaking into his home. He's right but neither of us is going to tell him that, especially considering I am the perpetrator and Adrien is my loyal accomplice. 

I shift my gaze away from Gaston toward Adrien who at this point is trying his best not to laugh at the old man in front of us. It was as if we shared one mind and his gaze drifted toward me. Neither of us said a word, we didn't need to but we both knew what we had to do. We had to lie. Lie like our lives depend on it. 

Adrien shrugs. "I think you're overreacting you probably misplaced something which has led you to believe this silly notion that someone has broken into your home you shouldn't feel bad about it forgetting some things is common with old age," he says.

Gaston's pace came to an abrupt halt and he turned to look down at Adrein, shock and betrayal shining in his eyes and his mouth twisted into a scowl. 

"So that's what you think of me, huh you think because I'm getting old my memory is slipping." Gaston dramatically waved his arms in the air and continued his pacing now mumbling a string of curse words all directed at Adrien. 

Adrien looks back toward me and rolls his eyes. "Okay, it's your turn."

Sighing I get up from my seat and walk toward Gaston who continues to walk back and forth muttering his collection of curse words. I reach my hand up and grab onto his shoulder which brings him to a standstill. 

"Calm down, Gaston. I'm sure he didn't mean that." 

"Actually-"

"Shut up, Adrien," I hiss through clenched teeth.

"I'm just being honest," Adrien mumbles under his breath as he crosses his arms over his chest and leans back further against the pillow resting behind his back.

Rolling my eyes I turn my attention back to Gaston who is glaring daggers at Adrien.

"What Adrien was trying to say is that you shouldn't jump to conclusions like that. Now I'm not saying you're memory is slipping, although that can happen," I say with an amused smile tugging on the corners of my lips.

"Watch it, Valerie," Gaston hisses at me and my smile immediately disappears.

"The point that we are trying to make here is that nobody would dare break into your house. Everyone in town knows you're an incredible hunter who would  destroy them if they even dared to cross you." 

A warm smile spreads on his lips. "Thank you, Valerie, that means a lot to me." Suddenly his smile drops and his face scrunches in confusion. "Hang on a second they don't-" 

"Okay, Gaston, we have to go. Sophie wants us to help make dinner," I say and drag Adrien by the arm out of the house while Gaston starts yelling all over again.

"I told you he was going to figure out you were stealing his book eventually," Adrien whispers into my ear. 

Not wanting to risk anyone hearing us I pull him into an adjacent alleyway.

"He never accused me he just said he thinks someone is breaking into his house," I correct him.

"That doesn't change the fact that he's catching onto us, how many more times do you have to take the book?"