Chapter 21: A Promise is a Promise

Growing up I was taught a wide variety of things. How to shoot a bow and arrow, how to track an animal across the forest, and how to survive if by some chance I'm left stranded and injured. Stealing however was not part of the lesson plan my father mapped out for me. I suppose teaching your child to steal isn't exactly good parenting but I would be lying if I said it wouldn't be a helpful trick to know right now.

Gaston may be old and a bit drunk most of the time, but I highly doubt he will look the other way at me stealing one of his books.

Tomorrow when I start cleaning his home may be my only chance to get it. I'll have to slip it into a bag or something while we explore that messy chaotic home of his. Hopefully, it will be as soon as it sounds.

"You have too much faith in that young woman, Maurie!" Miss Potts scolds me for what feels like the hundredth time today

A long sigh of annoyance escapes from me and I shake my head. Ever since I told everyone about the deal I made with Valerie, Miss Potts has been scolding me every chance she gets.

I don't pay her any attention and continue my game of solitaire which honestly isn't helping me at all. Not even intense concentration on the cards can drown out this woman.

"Miss Potts if he holds this much faith in her then it is obviously for a good reason. Don't you think so?" Fabienne says in my defence.

I tilt my head to face her and give her a small smile and she doesn't hesitate to return it.

The older woman scoffs and flops onto her mattress.

"I simply do not understand why that woman of all people," she says as she shakes her head. 

"My apologies, Miss Potts, should I have chosen one of the many other guests we receive," I say in a sarcastic tone.

Fabienne quickly covers her mouth with her hand to hide her smile and Charles and Amelie do similar things. Miss Potts on the other hand glares at me with a burning intensity.

"You better be right about her is all I'm suggesting."

"I am, and when Valerie helps free us from this curse you will regret questioning me." 

"We will see about that," she huffs and then proceeds to storm out of the room. 

"Yes, we certainly will," I whisper as I place down my final card.