Life and death (5)

APRIL 18TH
SIX WEEKS

"You have to do something Saltzman! You keep sitting here being hopelessly in love and pining for this girl while she's out there thinking you don't want her!" Lizzie and her have been bickering about this in the locker room for the past twenty minutes.

The others replying every few seconds but too scared of Lizzie to join the conversation and disagree with some stuff she said.

"And let's not forget the fact that you're pregnant and Hope deserves to know..." Landon added.

"Yeah I mean when we had Theo, Landon didn't tell me about it for weeks and I felt bad that he didn't trust me or feel safe enough with me to tell me about it."

But before they could continue their conversation, their attending came in.

"Interns! Move your asses up we have a fire a block from here caused by some kids going overboard with their Easter party! it's spreading quick with dozens of trauma coming up!"

And just like that everyone started moving in seconds and Josie hurried up on changing, "Gosh nothing is comfortable to wear anymore with how tender my boobs are." Josie sighed in frustration.

"Saltzman like I said move!" Keelin yelled when Josie turned around and noticed she was last in the room.

__________________________

By the time they arrived in the ambulance area, Keelin wasn't joking. There were dozens of patients coming In and so many burns and blood.

"Alright interns! It's a beautiful day to save lives! You know the rules of what we do in days like so make sure you stick to the rules we don't want anything to go wrong especially with the way this fire is heading." Hope came up to them before they all got to go their own way and get their patients.

While Hope and Josie finds themselves in surgery together again, but of course not alone and jed is just third wheeling in this awkward moment.

As the surgery goes, the two exchange fleeting stares and the tension is high.

Josie can't bring herself to say anything to Hope, she's scared in a way.

Falling for each other wasn't the plan and now there they are.

Doing a surgery on some guy in awkward silence.

By the time they're finished with the surgery they get the news of an evacuation for half the hospital for now cause the fire is spreading more and more towards them.

It was uncontrollable and the fire department are doing their best but not fast enough.

When the two made it to the exit the fire was practically at their doors and Josie felt like she couldn't breathe from the smoke and the heat it brought.

Everything was chaos as people were trying to run away to safety, Josie was frozen in place when she saw a street light pole fall on a little kid. And Hope Mikaelson running towards him...

'How stupid can you be to play a hero, Mikaelson.' Josie thought to herself as she watched with worry.

The fire was heading more and more towards the duo in need of rescue, the pole was barely moving but Hope couldn't risk this innocent child dying when there's something to do about it.

But suddenly she lifted it and was able to grab him from under it, the blood started spilling quickly and by now Hope was running out of air.

She tried to take them away from the fire as much as she could but he had already passed out and she was getting weaker and weaker by the second while carrying the child away.

Last thing she remembered? Darkness.

__________________________________________

Soon after Hope woke up in a hospital bed, trying to sit up only to be pushed back by someone.

Her vision was slowly clearing when she understood the people in the room were Josie and her parents.

"Rest little one, you got one hell of an injury there, and that surgery was not an easy one." Her dad spoke, she could see the dried tears and his eyes and her mother's.

Great.

"We'll give you two a moment but please rest Hope, we will talk about this later." Her mother said whilst patting Klaus on the shoulder and leaving the room with him.

"Why the hell did you do that Hope?" Josie quite literally yelled causing Hope to stir and move her attention to the other side of the bed where Josie sat.

"To save innocent lives? And also why all of a sudden you're here and talking after ignoring me for days??"

"You were being an idiot! You could've died there!" Josie stood up and started pacing around while tears started dropping.

"I couldn't let that kid die? Why do you even care! You ran away from me that day at my office with no reasonable explanation!" Hope started screaming at the brunette.

"And I've been regretting that everyday since! You know why I left you?" Josie was letting go of her anger as the sadness started consuming her.

"No but if you just explained to me that day!"

"I left because I fear of getting attached to people, everytime I let someone in or start caring for them... they either leave me or die." Josie explained while sobbing.

"I-" Hope tried saying something but... she couldn't.

"And I can't lose you. Especially now that-"

"Now that what?" Hope questioned, confused as to what she was meaning by that, what changed?

"I- I'm pregnant Hope. It's yours..." Josie said as the tears took control and she felt like her knees were getting weak.

Hope was frozen in place, a shock expression was all you could see. No words could come out of her mouth in that moment.

And I guess at some point, Josie took that as Hope's reply to the situation and she ran away, not ready to be heartbroken more than she already is.

(Another chapter 🙃 sorry it took some time... writer's block is a bitch! But summer break is starting soon and I'll have more time to update 😌 hope you enjoyed this one! Make sure to share your opinions in the comments, I love to read them and they give me motivation to write more 😁 have a great day! Ps. New cover 👀)