𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

(𝙡𝙞𝙩𝙩𝙡𝙚 𝙢𝙤𝙤𝙙𝙗𝙤𝙖𝙧𝙙 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧^^)

♡︎
𝒔𝒉𝒆'𝒔 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒔𝒉𝒆'𝒔 𝒕𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈
♡︎

After Tyler left and I'd cleaned up, I decided to keep working on the kitchen counter rather than move to my room. If anything, it allowed me to keep a closer eye on Klaus, Elijah and Hayley. 

I stole another glance at the doorway of the living room where the three were talking in hushed voices. From my position, I could only see Klaus' side view. He was sitting on an armrest, making gestures and talking enthusiastically. 

I wonder what's got him all riled up. 

He's speaking too low for me to hear but every now and then I'll hear some form of refusal from Hayley. Nice. She's keeping him in check. 

I glance back down at my laptop screen. Fucking history. The english essay was a breeze and now I'm staring at an empty document save for the title: Religion and Crusades: Through the Years. 

The topic is just so vast, I have no idea where to start. I scroll through yet another website filled with too much extra information that I don't wanna have to filter out, all just to find a grand total of one fact I can use in my essay. Yeah, nope. I'm done. 

I call Damon. Please pick up. Please, please, please. "The number you are trying to call is currently unavai‐". 

Setting my phone back on the counter (and resisting the urge to smash it), I refocus my attention on the still empty document and let out a groan of frustration. 

"Yep. You sound how I feel." I freeze. "So, who are you?" She has a slight smirk on her face and her eyes are measuring me up. 

I let out a shaky breath. "I'm Kenna, Tyler's girlfriend." 

She frowns a bit at the end but shakes it off. "What's got you so frustrated?" 

"A history essay. What about you?" 

She considers my question for a second then simply says, "Klaus." 

I laugh a bit. "I like how that one word really sums it up." 

Hayley's smirk grows into a larger grin and she leans her forearms on the counter. "I already like you, Kenna." 

My own smile grows immeasurably. "Would you like some lasagna? It's still warm." Food is my love language, okay? 

"Yeah, actually. It smells amazing." I smile in delight at the compliment and take out a huge piece for her and then sit my ass back down so I can hopefully do some actual work. 

She's only just dug in when Elijah and Klaus join us in the kitchen. The former looked like his usual calm self and the latter looked pissed. 

It's Elijah who speaks up. "Let's go." He grabbed Hayleys bag off one of the barstools and turned to leave. 

"I'm eating," she grumbled, with a mouthful. 

He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "You can eat in the car." 

Hayley huffs and looks at me to ask, "Do you mind if I take the plate with me?" 

I nod frantically, getting kinda nervous right now. "Yeah of course. Would you like some?" I direct my question to Elijah who politely declines. 

Hayley narrows her eyes at him and says, "Don't try to ask me to share later." 

"I could never. Now can we go, it's quite urgent," Elijah said, and then with a small goodbye nod to me he walked out. 

Hayley rolled her eyes and followed behind him after saying a quick bye to me. And then I'm left all alone. Klaus must've retired to his room. 

I take the opportunity to write up an introduction paragraph but the peace only lasts so long. It's about half an hour later that Klaus saunters in. He leaned across the counter, opposite from me, and took a quick glance at the pasta dish and snorted. 

"So now you have no problem feeding not one but two extra people. I'm starting to get the impression that you just don't like me, Karla." 

"That's a pretty accurate impression then," I said, to which he rolled his eyes. "Besides, they're pretty nice so why not?" 

"And pray tell, what did I ever do that wasn't nice?" He's joking right? 

"Plenty," I deadpan. "And even more to my friends." 

"Well, that's hardly fair. How do you know Elijah and Hayley are innocent?" 

I smile. "They're the lesser evil." 

His brow furrows. "So I've went from 'not nice' to 'evil'?" 

"Mainly you're just annoying," I snort. 

He raises a challenging brow. "Anything else, love?" 

I let out a small chuckle. "I'll let you know as the list grows." Which it undoubtedly will. 

"Well here's a few: powerful, hybrid," He pauses for a second then smirks wider as he adds, "Hot." Okay, he's not wrong. 

"Try, cocky." Although I feel my face warm. 

"More like, realistic." 

"Or egotistical," I remarked. 

He shrugged and replied, "Rightly so, then. I am, after all, the most powerful supernatural to walk this earth." 

"Did I say cocky already?" I ask with a faux expression of doubt. 

"You did. Would you like me to fetch you a thesaurus?" 

"Ha. Ha." And then we both just lock eyes and I have no idea what comes over me but I actually laugh. I just burst out in a bout of laughter and only a second later he's heartily chuckling too. He looks really different when he's laughing. I like it. 

After we've both quieted, I decide to tell him as much. "You should laugh more often, you know." And then I crack up as I remember something. "You know," I add in between chuckles, "I saw this poster once that said: 'a chuckle a day keeps the depression away'". 

He watches me with an expression that I can't quite place and then responds, "You needn't worry, if I'm to self diagnose a mental illness, depression wouldn't even make it to the top five." I'm sure that's him confirming that he's slightly off the rails but my smile just grows larger. Then he adds, "Besides, there's only so much to laugh about." 

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Well, that's utter bull. Don't you have a girlfriend or something?" 

He snorts. "No." Then as an afterthought, "So you think the key to happiness lies in a romantic partner?" Despite the question sounding like he's mocking me, his tone remains neutral or if anything, inquisitive 

My reply however is an easy one. "No, of course not. But it does help." I give a noncommittal shrug, one that juxtaposes the flurry going through my brain right now. 

'It does help.' ... Does it help? 

Stop. 

I blink out of my thoughts. Klaus sits across from me, looking thoughtful. "Does it? For you." 

Oh. Uh. 

Mindblank. 

Then, haywire. 

"Of course. I love Tyler."

☾︎☽︎

𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙨𝙚𝙚𝙢𝙨 𝙨𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙖 𝙨𝙝𝙤𝙧𝙩 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙟𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙖 𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙮 𝙜𝙤𝙤𝙙 𝙥𝙡𝙖𝙘𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙚𝙣𝙙 𝙞𝙩 𝙡𝙤𝙡. 𝙖𝙣𝙮𝙬𝙮𝙖𝙨 𝙨𝙪𝙢𝙢𝙚𝙧 𝙝𝙤𝙡𝙞𝙙𝙖𝙮𝙨 𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙨𝙤 𝙞'𝙡𝙡 𝙩𝙧𝙮 𝙩𝙤 𝙪𝙥𝙙𝙖𝙩𝙚 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙚 :)

𝕧𝕠𝕥𝕖. 𝕔𝕠𝕞𝕞𝕖𝕟𝕥. 𝕤𝕙𝕒𝕣𝕖.