𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞

^Please look at the mood board i made for this chapter coz its kinda perfect lol

I'm still lazily enjoying my pizza when Klaus walks back in the kitchen, sans Elijah, from their little impromptu meeting in the living room. Klaus doesn't seem to be all that affected though so, I presume nothing too major has happened but I chance asking him anyway.

He merely lifts a brow in response. "Elijah tends to have a flair for the dramatics. All is well."

"Fine, don't tell me," I shrug. "So what's this I hear about a ball? And god, Klaus, has no one taught you how rude it is to not invite your hosts? Honestly, I'm quite offended," I say with mock hurt.

"Relax, love, I have it right here." He pulled a small envelope out of his back pocket, passing it to me.

"Cool." I smile. "I was beginning to think it got lost in the mail."

"Wouldn't want that happening, would we?" I note the lightness in his expression and the ease with which he allows himself a small smile. Honestly, this man is a constant paradox that I doubt I'll live long enough to make sense of.

I wipe my hands with a tissue napkin. "'Course not. That'd be rude," I confirm and scan the contents of the thick, embossed invitation card. "What on earth am I supposed to wear to a ball?" I wonder aloud.

During the hours of online shopping with Caroline just a little while ago, nothing seemed quite perfect. Caroline did decide on a gorgeous off-white piece but she said she was gonna pop in to their store to check it out in person.

"Afraid you've got the wrong sibling for that. Speaking of, Rebekah was asking whether you're coming." I glance up in surprise. "Need I remind you–"

I cut him off with a groan. "You're not still on my case about that are you?" Of course he is. Stupid paranoid jerk.

Elijah walked in then, pocketing his cellphone in his crisp dress pants. "Oh, don't mind him. Niklaus tends to have a flair for paranoia." He clapped his brother on his back, the other hand still in his pocket. "Nothing he won't get over after a millennia or two."

"Hilarious, Elijah. When our sister turns up heartbroken or dead due to reasons unforeseen, do remind me to say 'I told you so'," Klaus mused.

"Oh, I doubt you'll forget," Elijah retorted.

Klaus' glare cut back to me and I hasten to change the subject before he goes off on a paranoia inspired tangent. "So, what's the deal with the whole ball thing, anyway? Doesn't everyone in this town basically hate you?"

"You'd think, but no," Elijah murmured as he poured out a finger of whiskey.

"It's a family reunion of sorts," Klaus answered and I wondered why his mouth dipped into a frown, for a second, before he slipped his mask back on.

"You have more siblings?" I quip, my eyes dancing between the two brothers. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Klaus chuckled and said with a hint of fondness, "Oh, you haven't even met the worst of us yet."

"Careful, don't speak of him like that, or he shall spawn," Elijah warned.

Right, so, bad then.

Klaus leaned his frame against the fridge and crossed his arms. "Are we speaking of Kol or Finn?"

Elijah shook his head. "You know, I'm not entirely certain."

"Did they find themselves a nice little hotel to stay at?" I don't think I'd be all that comfortable having that many vampires living with me. Correction: homicidal, original vampires.