ONE

Jazmine's POV

I continued to walk towards the house allowing the music to grow louder with each step as I pushed open the gate to the backyard leaving my eyes to greet my entire family along with a few friends.

"Jazmine," A voice I loved dearly called out and I turned to see my grandmother standing a few steps away.

"Hey grandma," I greeted back smiling while pulling her into a hug.

"Are you hungry baby?" She asked as she removed herself from my hold.

"No grandma I'm fine," I replied and she frowned.

"Did you eat already?"

"No, I-"

"Go find a seat I'll have someone bring you a plate," She interrupted leaving me with no room to argue as she walked off.

My eyes locked with my little sister Sarah who was standing with a small group of friends and the sight postponed my journey as I redirected my strides to move over to her.

"You're late," She declared, smiling the minute her orbs fell on me.

"I got held up at work with Spain,"

"Is he coming?" She questioned curiously since he was practically family.

"Yeah," I replied scanning the group of people whose conversation I had interrupted.

"So are you going to introduce me to your friends?" I asked, earning an eye roll which only served as fuel for my amusement.

"Samantha and Lesley, this is my sister Jazmine," She introduced and I smiled, shaking both of their hands.

"Jazmine," I heard my grandmother call out and I turned away from them to look at the old lady who held a stern expression.

"Go sit around the table," She ordered, handing me the plate.

"So are you going to tell me about what's going on at church?" I asked while walking away with her.

"You should stop by and find out" She replied and I chuckled while sitting around a half-full table.

I was a spiritual woman, and the church or even religion as a whole just never felt right to me.

It never felt like home.

I greeted the table while lifting my fork to begin eating, and the tension between us was left to grow with each passing minute. It was no secret that all despised me, and if I told you what for you wouldn't believe it.

It's just funny how life played out, I was labelled as the lesbian family member who would never be anything, and they hated that I was the most successful, that I was the motherfucker to move out of the hood, but I didn't go far since I still had ties here, but it was far enough, it was somewhere where no one knew my name and that is all I wanted.

As I grew older I had come to realise the most hate came from the people who knew you.

-

My phone buzzed in my pocket sending vibrations along my leg as I continued to make my way over to the car, my own-

"Yow Ice you leaving?" Taj called out interrupting my thoughts, and I quickly turned to see him a few steps away.

"Yeah I got some things to do," I replied, placing the plate of food my grandmother had made me on the roof of my car.

"Alright, is Spain here?"

"Yeah he's on the inside," I replied and he nodded walking past me as I began removing my keys.

My eyes drifted to the right as the door of the car behind mine opened to reveal a familiar face, and I couldn't help but formulate words as she scanned the area curiously.

"Hey," I called out and she turned towards me with a confused expression.

"Gas station," I recalled and I watched as realisation presented itself in her light brown eyes.

"Oh, nice to see you again," She said and I nodded.

"Likewise, I'm Jazmine by the way" I replied loving the way her beautifully melanated almond skin shone under the blazing sun.

"Brittany," She voiced and I outstretched my hand watching as she took it hesitantly.

"You lost or something?" I asked as I returned my hand to my side.

"No, why?"

"It's just that you looked like you were searching for something or somewhere,"

"I'm here to pick up somebody," She replied keeping the details to herself and I nodded appreciating how discreet she was.

"You're not dating somebody from my family are you?" I asked amused and she smiled.

"No, I'm not, I didn't even know this was a family thing,"

"I almost forgot that you're new around here but that reminded me"

"How so?" She asked curiously with a hint of amusement in her voice.

"Everybody and their mama know about The Johnson's cookouts, the best home cooking in the neighbourhood," I replied and she laughed.

"Well yes, I'm new but I'm just visiting,"

"That's cool, if you want I could give you a tour one of these days," I offered, appreciating the sight of her dimples who had recently made their appearance.

"I'm good, my friend is from around here," She replied, shooting down my offer and I couldn't help the snicker that escaped the barriers that were my lips.

"Your friend?"

"Yeah, she-" She started but stopped as a voice interjected.

"I'm sorry I'm late, were you waiting long?" The woman asked.

"Ten minutes,"

"I'm sorry," She apologised once more as I tried my best to figure out if they were more than friends or not.

"It's okay Jazmine here has been keeping my company," She announced looking at me and the girl turned to become aware of my presence.

"Oh, you're Sarah's sister, Samantha we met earlier," She greeted me and I quickly remembered her face.

"Yeah, we did,"

"Well thank you for keeping her company," She replied.

"No problem, it was nice to meet you both," I replied, flashing a friendly smile before walking away while properly greeting the new feeling of being intrigued.

-