THIRTEEN

Jazmine's POV

My ringtone echoed loudly around the space of my car, leaving my attention to divide itself between the noisy sequence, and the slow-paced vehicles that were situated before me in the drive-thru.

I transferred my thumb to the small button located on the steering wheel connecting the call.

"I just saw your missed call," She informed me as her voice rang lowly through the speakers of my car.

"You okay?" I asked curiously since I was able to sense the frustration and annoyance in her tone, and for a brief second, I wondered if I had interrupted something important.

"It's my wash day" She stated as an explanation and I released a small laugh driving up in the line slightly.

"That's one of the main reasons I have locs," I uttered as my hunger continued to spill its demands onto the pit of my stomach.

"Are you on your way to the office?"

"No, I'm in a drive-thru getting something to eat, I'm actually working from home today,"

"Okay cause-hold on, I'm in here baby" She voiced, directing the last part to who I assumed to be her daughter.

The muffled voices sounded over the line and I waited patiently for them to finish conversing as I ignored the slight growl my stomach offered.

"Jazmine?"

"Yeah, I'm here," I responded as I released a small sigh of frustration.

"You okay?"

"I'm hungry," I expressed and her breathy laugh greeted my ears.

"When am I going to meet her?" I asked after a few short-lived seconds of silence.

"When the ancestors give me a sign" She joked, making me chuckle.

"Are you free later?" I questioned missing the feeling of being next to her since we were set to calls only for the last week.

"No, I have Aria," She answered.

"What if I come by an-"

"Jaz-"

"Let me finish," I pleaded.

"Okay go ahead babe" She ordered softly and I smiled since this would be the first time the title had left her lips.

"I'll come by with some food and I'll park out front and we'll have like a little date in my car, but that's only if you're cool with it" I offered and silence began to dance along the line as she thought it over.

"Okay but I'll cook," She agreed.

"Did you just say you'll cook?" I asked, smiling as the words placed both their palms against my heart.

"Yes"

"Wow," I whispered in disbelief as my 'only being able to make breakfast self' drifted off into complete awe.

"You're so dramatic" She mumbled amused as I sent down my window.

"Hold on" I called out to her as I paid for my food.

"Thank you," I stated as I collected the bag from the woman.

"You're welcome," She replied and I released a small smile as I drove off.

"Britt,"

"I'm to wash out my hair and detangle," She expressed as I placed the bag between my legs.

"Okay, Imma see you tonight?"

"Yeah," She promised and I ended the call before pulling onto the busy street.

-

Sweet melodies circulated the car at a low volume as the illuminated gaze from the moon sprinted over the roof of her house to lay on the windshield before us, and I sat there enjoying the energy that bathed our bodies with glee as my eyes basked in the sight of her with such adoration that she was bound to greet the pedestal in my mind.