TWO

Jazmine's POV

I parked my car beside Spain's before pulling the door open to allow my feet to greet the hot concrete of the parking lot below, and the blinding sun immediately began to litter my beautifully melanated skin with such intensity that my pores fought to contain the sight of sweat.

"I thought you were lost," Spain joked, earning a smile from me as I closed the car door.

Loyalty was so rare that I would be a crippling fool to not appreciate the friendship we had; a friendship that was fueled by a bond that was more solid than blood. He was my right hand in everything, the only one I felt as if I could actually trust most days.

I would give my life for him and I knew he would do the same for me.

"Traffic," I explained as I moved around the car to sit on the hood.

"So what we doing Ice?" He asked and I smiled, hating and loving that his dumbass nickname stuck.

"Anything on the streets?" I inquired and he looked around for a second before leaving his gaze on me.

"They're saying that Vipers were the ones responsible for the killing that went down the other night,"

"Those messy motherfuckers" I mumbled since they already had the heat on them from the thing that went down last month.

"Did you check out the price for that one property you were telling me about?" I asked and he nodded.

"Quarter mil"

"Yeah," I agreed while motioning for him to get it.

We owned most of the properties on the west since all of the money that we saved selling drugs went into real estate and stocks so we could secure a better life for ourselves.

During our days of selling, our first couple of properties also gave us a cover and explanation as to why we were living like we never met poverty.

Spain and I were the most off radar set of individuals which is why we always had suppliers during the time. We operated without gaining attention from authorities which in return had us making the most profit.

After we left we created an 'alternate gang' if you were supposed to label it, that offered a family and protection without the criminal lifestyle attached, basically what gangs used to be.

So instead of picking up young kids and getting them to sell in return for a better living like other gangs, we offered them a home and a life, and all we expected was for them to make something of themselves, which is something we wished we had growing up.

We weren't like most gangs. We didn't go around starting shit because of different colours. We were a family, no home we got you, trying to provide we here, we tried our best to keep other kids from falling into this fucked-up cycl.

I spent thousands on school every year even though I was a kid-less motherfucker. We were built on loyalty and trust, and only popped off when we were fucked with, no need to start fire cause the smoke will always come back to choke you.

We didn't sell drugs, all our money was clean, it came from the businesses we purchased over the years which we also allowed black ex-convicts to work in, and-

"I'm heading into the store, you want something?" He asked, disrupting my ongoing thoughts.

"No, I'm good" I replied and he nodded walking off.

My gaze drifted to the apartment across the street that we had bought three months ago so the people we took in could get somewhere to stay at an affordable rate. We would always take care of our own because in reality we all we got.

The renovations were completed a month ago but we didn't have time to stop by because we were busy with the apartments on Crescent Street and Phillips Avenue.

A horn sounded and I turned watching as Dice pulled into the parking space beside me, and I leaned off the hood walking over to him as he got out of the car.

"They in the backseat" He announced and I glanced at the tinted window of the back passenger door.

"We're walking over," I told him and he nodded, popping the trunk before knocking the glass in a silent way of telling them to get out as he went for the bags.

I closed his recently opened door watching as the back opened leaving the two of them getting out.

"You Michael right?" I asked the one on the right noticing the similarities he held to his father and he released a small nod confirming my assumption.

Michael's father used to work for me at the delivery company before he did some dumb shit and got shot down by the cops last month. Michael's family didn't want anything to do with him, especially since they didn't have the best of relationship with his father in the first place. So he's here after Dice brought it to my attention that he was sleeping on the streets.

"Use words when you're speaking to me, that nodding shit makes you look weak," I replied before looking over at the other eighteen-year-old boy.

"And you're Terrell?" I asked even though I already knew the answer.

"Yes Miss" He replied, making me snicker.

"You don't have to Miss me, relax" I stated catching on to how tense he was. Terrell had no ties to my gang or family as I would prefer to put it but I watched him play ball a couple of times at the court a few blocks down. Talented kid but he had recently been kicked out after impregnating his high school girlfriend, and according to Dice they were both staying in a cheap motel.

The word on the street was that he was no longer planning to go to university since he now had a family to take care of, so I had them bring him here.

"Do any of you know who I am?"

"Of course I do, you're Ice," Michael replied.

"Please call me Jazmine. I hate that name" I replied smiling and he returned one.

"Why am I here?" Terrell asked hesitantly.

"The word is you're going to quit school and you're too smart and talented for that, so you're going to be living here with your girl and your child and I'll be handling all the expenses"

"And what I gotta do in return sell drugs?" He asked clearly not liking the idea and I chuckled.

"No, you have to get an education and make something of yourself,"

"And why am I here?"

"Your father used to work for me before he fell out, this is a family we protect our own and I need you both to understand that. This is a family we're built on loyalty, love, and trust. I heard about your current situation and so you're here, you both have to restart school and don't let your pride and ego fuck this up," I said directing the last part to them both, sensing their hesitancy.

"Get the bags we're heading over" I ordered, realising Spain was back and they did just that as I went to my car to grab my phone.

-