NINETEEN

B R I T T A N Y

I stood at the entrance of the house patiently awaiting Nia's presence as the thought of how much I needed today danced in my mind, especially since this month had been nothing but draining for me.

"I was just about to call you," Nia announced the second she opened the front door to see me.

"Traffic," I voiced as an explanation for my lateness while she stepped to the side silently telling me to come in.

"On Brown Road?"

"No, I took Mountain Street," I expressed entering the house.

"Why didn't you invite Jazmine?" She questioned, closing the door behind us as I began removing my shoes.

"I didn't know I could,"

"You can,"

"She's probably busy," I assumed, resting my shoes to the side.

"Okay, well can you help me pack the ice cooler before we go around the back?"

"Yeah," I agreed, standing straight.

"So how is it going with you and her?"

"She met Aria," I confessed as we began moving towards the kitchen.

"Didn't you have a six-month waiting list or some shit like that?" She asked, earning a miniature laugh from the barrier of my lips.

"It wasn't planned, Andre didn't show up to get Aria and since no one was free I called her," I explained pushing away the rising anger that the mere thought of the situation had created, and it was even more frustrating when I settled on the fact that if the school hadn't called I wouldn't have known.

"Does Aria know that you guys are together?" She inquired, reminding me of the fact that I had to one day explain the relationship I held with Jazmine to my three-year-old.

Even though the concept of same-sex relationships would not be something new to her since it was a topic that we had discussed numerous times, it would still prompt a conversation because of the fact that I would now be added to the equation, and with this conversation would come numerous others like the lengthy explanation on why the black community discriminated against same-sex relationships when they themselves know exactly what it feels like to be judged for something they can't control.

"No, but she likes Jazmine a lot and ever since they met Aria has been asking to see Jazmine again and—"

"You're not sure if Jazmine is here to stay or not," Nia finished as if she had stepped into my mind and mirrored my thoughts aloud before my own lips could.

"Exactly and now Aria seems to be attached to her,"

"Does Jazmine seem solid to you?" She questioned, opening the refrigerator.

"Yeah, I mean we've been dating for four months and she's been consistent with everything, but, I have been wrong before," I stated silently referring to my relationship with Andre as she handed me a few beers which I took quickly resting them inside of the cooler.

"Britt I can't tell you what to do but don't push her away or ruin something good because you're not used to it, I can speak from experience sometimes a good thing is actually a good thing," Nia declared, alluding to Darrelle.

"I w—"

"Did you invite Jazmine?" I heard a familiar voice question and I glanced over to see Tiana's approaching figure as I took another set of liquor into my hands.

"No, she's busy," I said, placing the bottles inside of the cooler as she settled into the kitchen next to Nia and me.

"Are you going to invite her to Jason and I's anniversary party?" She asked as I closed the lid of the ice cooler.