Chapter 10: The Finals

Excitement and tensions were buzzing throughout the arena. Students and teachers alike were eagerly waiting for the next match to begin. Who would've thought that Bakugou Katsuki, the winner of last year's festival, would be going up against a relatively unknown girl from 2A?

Any emotions you might have felt had been completely sucked from your body. There was no fear, excitement, nothing. It was like your heart hadn't caught up with the situation at hand. The only indicator of your deeper emotions was the worn-down hair tie on your wrist.

This was it. Everything you had worked for, all those late nights spent planning, it all came to this. Your mind's gears were spinning wildly. The plan, the backup plan, the backup to the backup plan blended together into a jumbled mess. You pinched your arm to snap yourself out of it.

"Are you ready?" A voice said from behind you.

You jumped and spun around. "Jeez Todoroki, again? Why can't you announce yourself instead of sneaking up on people?" You snapped.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." He shoved his hands in his pockets "I just wanted to see how you were doing. You seem...on edge."

You took a breath. "Sorry, I didn't mean to snap. You're right, I'm just agitated." A beat of silence dropped. "Are you alright? I heard your last match was pretty rough."

"I'm fine. Recovery Girl patched me up." He looked down at the floor "I'm just...disappointed in myself is all. I told you that we'd get to fight fair and square in the Finals, but I couldn't keep my word."

"Todoroki, if you want to fight, I'll happily spar with you after the tournament."

"It's not that, I wanted to–never mind. I feel like I let you down."

"You haven't done anything to let me down." You said "I'm proud of you, of everyone, for making it to where they are now. And I want to make everyone proud too."

"Just do me one favor, okay?" His voice dropped to a cold whisper "Beat him. Wipe that smug look off his face for good."

His intensity startled you but you gave a determined face. "I will."

A voice tugged at the back of Todoroki's head. Tell her. Tell her how you feel.

I can't. He shot back. It'll only psyche her out before her match.

Tell her!

I...can't.

Unaware of his internal debate, you were alerted by the music signaling your entrance. You gave a smile and thumbs up to Todoroki before stepping out.

The sunlight that had blinded you before now barely made an impact. All you saw was the imposing figure standing across from you. He glared with bright red eyes, making you want to look away. But you didn't. You stared Bakugou head on with a face of cool composure.

"EVERYBODY!" Midnight spoke into her mic "WELCOME TO THE FINALS OF THE UA SPORTS FESTIVAL!"

You glanced over at Himari Ochida, who was standing next to Midnight. She seemed to be bursting with nervous energy. You could certainly relate.

"LET'S MEET OUR TWO COMPETITORS. HE'S THE REIGNING CHAMPION WITH AN EXPLOSIVE PERSONALITY, KATSUKI BAKUGOU!"

Bakugou didn't even acknowledge the rumble of applause. His stare was focused only on you.

"AND MAKING A NAME FOR HERSELF IN THE ARENA, ANOTHER MEMBER OF CLASS 2-A, (F/N) (L/N)!"

Were your legs always this unsteady? You felt lightheaded as Midnight raised her whip. From the stands, Todoroki was whispering silently to himself, and Mina was screaming your name at the top of her lungs. You could've started crying of happiness hearing her cheers. The crowd was on the edge of their seats waiting for the fight to start.