Chapter 11: Aftermath

You hated hospital lights.

The artificial warmth made you uncomfortable to the point of closing your eyes. They were always too bright and too harsh. Just looking at them for too long would send shivers down your spine.

When you blinked your eyes open, you were almost blinded by the fluorescent bulbs. You heard voices nearby, but they were muffled, like you were underwater. Your ears tried to distinguish them but were overwhelmed by your raging headache. The steady beep of a heart monitor made it impossible to focus on anything else.

"I'm sorry sir, you can't be in here right now." A voice said.

"She's lying on a hospital bed! As her guardian, I have a right to make sure she's okay."

"Sir, visitors will be allowed in at a later date. I assure you, she'll be well taken care of. What Miss (L/n) needs right now is to rest undisturbed. What is your name?"

"I'm Kaito (L/n)."

Brother? You couldn't see clearly. Your head was spinning again.

You faded out.

~~

"When's the award ceremony going to be?" Kirishima asked.

"Since (Y/n) is still in the hospital wing, it'll have to be postponed." Aizawa replied "You should all stay in the waiting rooms until we have more updates."

Kirishima turned dejectedly to the rest of the Bakusquad. They had all been waiting to congratulate you on your win. Well, all except one. Bakugou had been taken to Recovery Girl to get checked, and no one had seen him since.

"Man, that was so awesome how (Y/n) kicked Bakugou's ass!" Denki exclaimed "She was like whoosh and bam and then ka-pow!"

"We know Denki, we were there." Mina said "What was the deal with Bakugou's quirk? Did she stop it or something?"

"She can't do that, can she?" Sero replied, "Her quirk is like, molecules or something."

"She changes the state of matter of the molecules around her." Kirishima said "I'm sure there's some science-y explanation."

"I just hope she's okay. She seemed really beat up." Mina slumped down on one of the folding chairs in the room.

"She's not the person we should be worried about." Sero said "I don't know about you guys, but I'm not looking forward to seeing Bakugou at the ceremony."

Everyone grimaced, remembering what happened last year. And that had been when he'd won. How would he react now that been beaten by an "extra" like you?

"I think Bakugou will be fine if we give him space." Kirishima said "He's got a temper, but I really think he's improved since last year. At the very least, he has more respect for his opponents."

"If you say so." Denki leaned back in his chair, "Still, let's try to avoid the subject when we see him."

Speaking of the devil, Bakugou walked in. He felt the eyes cautiously following him as he sat down in the corner. He wore a dark expression that was impossible to read. After a few seconds of staring, he snapped.

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU EXTRAS LOOKING AT?!"

Everyone murmured their excuse of "nothing, nothing" and looked away. Bakugou tched and let out a sigh.

"You can say it. I'm not fucking weak. I know I lost."

This statement startled everyone. Denki was the first to break the silence. "So...you're okay with it?"