♡ The Re-killing ♡ - ❤️‍🩹

The church was quiet. It was empty, save for the dead. The casket was at the altar, the bottom half of it closed, the top half open. His footsteps echoed throughout the empty chapel as he ascended the steps to the altar. He stood by the casket, looking down. His usually tanned skin was pale and a sickly yellow. The usually carefree and welcoming smile He wore on His face was replaced with a frown. His usually bright green eyes, bursting with emotions were closed and devoid of life. The curly green hair He never wanted to brush was combed down His face, making it look flat and greasy, instead of bouncy and fluffy. His clothes, which were usually bright with colour and playful in style, were black and formal and the hands which had multiple bracelets and rings on them were clasped around a single red rose. He was dead.

His funeral was held weeks ago. It had taken time after that, but the grave was dug up and the coffin was taken to the church for the ritual. The only masses that were held here were for weddings, funerals, communion and confirmation. It wasn't used the past while since His funeral, so he didn't have to worry about hiding the coffin. His body, that should be decaying at this point, looked just like it did on the day of His funeral.

The body had been left in the church for a few days. He never did this for Her. He could never understand why he did this for Him and not Her, but it was all down to love. He was afraid of bringing Her back and he was afraid to live without Him. He examined the body for the seventh night in a row. He was pleased with the results.

The bite marks, bruises and scratches were healed. Nothing was left behind, not even a scar. His limbs, which were tight and unable to move, were loose and free. It wouldn't be long now, he thought. Not long at all. He leaned down, mask off. Their lips brushed together, a soft kiss shared knowingly between one and unknowingly between the other.

He was looking forward to His awakening. He could finally see what he saw, finally hear what he heard, finally do the things he could do. There was no limits to what they could and couldn't do. They didn't need to sleep, they didn't need to eat, they didn't need to drink. They could go on all the adventures around the world and they could do it forever. The world was now theirs. It was made for them and now it is theirs.

He stared at Him again, pulling his mask up. He lifted one of His hands up and held it in his own, caressing it gently. He stared, looking for any sign of life. He sighed and kissed His hand, laying it back over the rose. He closed the top half of the casket and bowed before it. Standing straight, he walked down the steps, the tapping of his shoes against the floor echoing again.

Despite the echoes ringing in his ears, he heard it. Faint, gentle. He turned around facing the casket again. He drowned out every other sound, focusing on the gentle rhythm of this one. Not a heartbeat, neither of them had a heartbeat.

He stood in front of the casket again. He opened the top half staring ahead of him with his eyes closed. He turned his head down and opened his eyes, looking into the casket.

And the soft, green eyes that held so much life and emotion were gold and dead.

He had woken.

Amami Rantaro was completely dead.

———————————————

Context: vampires. Also Twilight sucks so don't think I was inspired by that shit.