Chapter Seven

Once Upon a Time in the Enchanted Forest. . . .

The storm was howling like a wolf in despair as you tucked a young Grace into bed, but something bothered you, there was another noise, you were sure you could hear it, out in the woods. You frown, trying to spot something thought the window but it wasn't clear, and then, as the lighting hits you see it, a figure in the cold. . . you look closer as the lighting flashes. . . and there it was again . . . the figure of a small boy. . . a small wooden boy crying in the storm. 

Without a second thought you'd adorned your wellies and cloak, heading out to call the boy over. 

"Boy!!" you had not idea what to yell "hey. . . " you call and eventually he sees you "come inside. . . " at first he's hesitant. . . but then he runs fearing he had nothing else to loose. As he runs clunky towards you, you notice the fine craftsmanship of the little wooden boy. . . Gepeto.

"Come in come in, let's get you dry . . ." you quickly cover him in a big blanket "what on earth were you doing out there?" 

"I ran away. . ." the boy says sheepishly "to join the circus." 

"I thought I could spot a runaway a mile off" you say good naturally at first before turning a little serious. "But you papa will be worrying about you. . ." He along with the Huntsman and others were part of your rescue party . . . you'd send a not by bird to tell him his son was safe the moment the storm ended. 

"I just . . . I wanted to . . . " 

"Its ok, it's Pinocchio right?" The young boy nods. 

"Come, sit at the table with me, I was just making dinner." he eagerly hops up onto the table. 

"You're the princess aren't you?" He asks as you put down some food for him. 

"I was. . ." you say lightly "I've been a lot of things Pinocchio, not all good, but the key is to always let your conscience be your guide."

"What else have you been?" You smile at the inquisitive boy. 

"I've been a princess, a run away, an 'acquirer of goods' and the wife of a portal jumper. . ." the young boys eyes widen in excitement. "Speaking off" you see the purple smoke of magic near the door as Jefferson walks in shaking the rain off his dark ruffled hair.

"Home sweet home" be beams, coming over to kiss you hello before looking at the young boy at the table unmoving in awe of the magic. "Darling. . ." 

"Hatter. . ." you reply in his elongated way. 

"Why is there a tiny wet puppet boy at our table?" 

"I'm not a puppet! I'm a real boy!" Jefferson jumps a little wide eyed. 

"Christ did you know it was alive?" 

"Yes Jeff . . . It's Pinocchio . . . Gepetos' boy?" You try and remind him. 

"Ohhhhh yes. . ." some vague recollection comes back to him and you roll your eyes laughing. "Sit down, dinner's ready, you made it in time, for once" you add playfully. 

"Perhaps we should celebrate?" 

"Celebrate?" The boy queries at Jefferson, the larger than life man at the other side of the table.

"Why not?" 

"But why do it?" 

"Well why not?" Jefferson replied causing the boy to look confused, you stifle a laugh bringing over dinner for you and him, sitting in the middle. 

"But we have nothing to celebrate?" The boy wonders. 

"Is it your birthday?" Jefferson asks as he starts to eat. 

"No" 

"Then it's obvious . . ." 

"Whats obvious . . ."

"We can celebrate your unbirthday. . . . " 

"My what?" 

"Your unbirthday" You reply, you only get one birthday but you have 354 unbirthdays to celebrate." 

"Thats nonsense" The boy struggle to hide his laughter. 

"So is a talking wooden puppet. . " Jefferson points out and you nudge him. "Sorry" he says. 

"What do you say to a tea party Pinocchio?"

"I've never been to one before. . ." he admits. 

"Well, let's change that shall we?" 

"Oh yes please!" 

"Then its settled, I'll even use my favourite tea set."

 . . . . . . .

The next morning you open up the door to a emotional Gepeto. 

"Where his he?" 

"PAPA!!!" 

"Oh my boy, my sweet boy!!!" he hugs him tight before looking up at you and Jefferson who has Grace in his arms. "Thank you, oh thank you!! How can I ever repay you. . ." 

"You need not repay us Gepeto . . . " You say smiling. 

"Papa! I had an unbirthday party it was amazing! I'm going to write a story about it!" He begins to gobble out the story. 

"You have a brilliant young man there. . ." You say to Gepeto as they leave "I've no doubt he'll be a real boy in no time . . ." 

"Thank you Hatters, you are good people. I'll carve something special for your daughter. . . " he says nodding before walking away with his son. 

"I've never been described as good" Jefferson frowns "feels a little odd." 

"You are a little odd" you reply with a wink. 

"Speak for yourself. . ." he retorts as you close the door. "Right, I'm off to sell mushrooms at the market  . . ." 

"Why?" Jefferson frowns. 

"Because I like it, I can't go on adventures with you and well, it's nice." 

"Ok well I have a gift for when you get back . . ." he says as I its nothing. 

"Oh?" 

"Unless you want it now. . ." he pus little Grace down in a play pen made of soft blankets and she plays with her new soft toy. 

"If feel a condition coming on . . ." Jefferson smiles widely "oh god your spending too much time with Rumple . . ." 

"In exchange for showing you your surprise early. . . a kiss is required." he shrugs. 

"Oh a kiss? Is that so?" 

"Oh yes. . . right here" he points to his lips." 

"Seems a bit of a big price to pay. . ." you scrunch your face up.

"A kiss or you wait. . ." He leans towards you expectantly and you kiss him, gently but lovingly. 

"Now, hand it over. . ." you say excitedly. 

"I got the witch that created it to re-enstate it without all the petals falling off. . . " from his bag he lifts out the bell jar containing the Rose that once belonged to a beast high up in a castle. "Rumple wanted it but I said he could have the crystal ball instead. . . because this. . . this is a real red rose that won't ever die. . . " 

"Jefferson I-  . . . it's beautiful I can't  . . . oh my gosh . . ." You stare at it on the table in awe.

"Anything for you . . ." You slowly look up, wrapping you arms around him.

"I don't deserve you . . ." you say kissing his neck before bury yourself into his arms further. 

"I would do anything for you my love, anything, no matter how mad, not matter what the price."