Chapter Twelve

Once Upon a Right Now in Storybrooke. . . .

August's motorcycle is parked out of Granny's Diner when you and Emma arrives, he walks out the door just as you enter. 

"Crazy" he greets you warmly 

"I've been meaning to bump into you. Matter of fact, I was hoping we might grab that drink you promised." He addresses Emma. 

"Is that you asking me out?" Emma frowns a little but there's a hidden smirk to it. 

"Well, if putting a label on it makes you more comfortable, sure. Let's call it a date."

"Aren't you the charmer" you roll your eyes before sitting with Mary Margret 

"I thought you came here to write, find inspiration." Emma enjoys your retort

"I'm optimistic about our date." August replies happily if cockily. 

"See, I have a policy,  I won't go out with guys who won't tell me their names. I find it weeds out the ones who like to keep secrets, like they're already married or they store body parts in their freezer. It was nice talking to you." Emma walks past him to join you and Mary Margret. 

"It's August. August W. Booth."

"Really? With the middle initial?" Emma frowns. 

"W's for Wayne. So, there goes your reason for not meeting me here after work" he shrugs as Emma continues to you alone and he leaves. 

"Who was that?" Mary Margret ponders. 

"We don't know yet." You shrug. 

"Yet? So,  Emma, you're going to find out?" Mary Margret wiggles her brows. 

"It's nothing."

"Nothing with you means something. Because if it were nothing, we wouldn't be talking about it." You shrug, accepting your drink from Ruby with a grateful thank you. 

"I'm sorry, I thought we were called here to talk about Mary Margret?"Emma moves the conversation along. 

"Yeah, but talking about you is easier right now." Mary Margret dithers. 

"What is it? What's going on?" You all lean in as Mary Margret lowers her voice to a whisper level. 

"Remember when you told me to stay away from David and I agreed?"

"Yes." you and Emma say in unison. 

"I didn't."

"Yeah" You chuckle sitting back a bit "We know."

"You do? How?" Mary Margret looked astonished. 

"Because I'm Sheriff, she's a detective, and you" she emphasises "are a lovesick school teacher. Covering your tracks is not exactly your strong suit."

"Well, I've been discrete." she hesitates the last bit as someone walks past. 

"Two teacups in the sink, new perfume, late nights" Emma starts to list. 

"Don't forget the plunging necklines." You add. 

"It was not hard to connect the dots." Emma frowns and you hide a smile. 

"Plunging?" Mary Margret looks a bit shocked. 

 "When I met you, you were a top button kind of girl."

"Not to mention the kiss you so not discreetly had in public .  . ." you frown. 

"Huh? Why didn't you two say anything?"