Chapter Twenty Three

Once Upon a Right Now in Storybrooke . . . . 

You and Henry knock on August's door at the inn. Regina said she had something to do so you said you'd take him out for breakfast before school. He'd been telling you about Emma wanting to run away and leave. 

"Hang on." You hear August struggle as he answers the door, Henry pushes his way into the room.

"August, please. We need your help." He begs. 

"Emma wants to leave." You say more calmly as you walk in. August shuts the door. 

 "What? Slow down."

 "Y-You were going to make her believe. You have to."

"I know, Henry. I'm sorry. I. . .I failed." 

"Failed?"

"I tried to show her." He sighs as he sits "I took her to the wardrobe, everything." He looks between you both "at first it was my legs, and now. . . now take a look . . .at the unvarnished truth." August pulls back his sleeve, revealing a wooden arm.

"It's wood."

"Its getting worse it what it is. . ." You examine his arm. 

"Yes."

"All of this. . .I was right. The curse. . .It's real!" He knew he was right, but now he had seen even more conceit evidence of it.

"Of course you were Henry, you're a smart kid." You smile brightly. 

"And you're Pinocchio."

"What gave it away?" August says playfully. 

"But, why are you turning back to wood? Your story . . . you should be real." Henry was confused and worried. 

"I'm changing back because, I haven't exactly been a good boy. And, well, If the curse doesn't break. . ." 

"This doesn't stop?" You frown and he nods. 

"So, we show Emma that you're turning back into the puppet you were, and then, she has to believe. And, when she does, she could break the curse." Henry sets out a plan that seems like it should make sense. 

"I tried that." 

"She doesn't want to see, so she doesn't." You sigh "she won't see the wood." 

"There's nothing more that I can do. I-I'm getting tired. It's hard to ride and it's hard to walk. Soon, it's going to be hard to breathe."

"So, we have to do something fast." Henry adds. 

"There's nothing to do. And with what little time I have left, I want to spend it with my father." 

"Marco."

"Your aunt is right, you're a smart kid."

"So, everyone's giving up?"

"No Henry, not were not" You promise him. 

"I'll make this better, I will." August nods in trust of you. 

"What are we going to do?" Henry looks at you worried. 

"You are going to go to school and act natural. . . I'm going to think of a plan there has to be something." Henry nods.

"Walkie talkie?" You take it out your pocket and wiggle it in answer, as he runs off you see Grace entering the playground to. Her Storybrooke family dropping her off. 

. . . . . . . . 

"Its not looking good. . ." You call as you enter the large Mansion in the forest. "August took her to the wardrobe, she can't see the wood on his leg. . ." you rant as you head upstairs looking for Jefferson. "Hey, there you are." You say gently as you walk closer you see the concern on his face. "What?"