F i v e - The Cursed Field

Syngrath and I walk for what feels like miles and miles of endless trees and darkness. It felt as if we would never escape this miserable wood. Even gliding was starting to become tiresome for me—which is sad that I'm complaining since Syngrath used his two legs to walk the whole way and hadn't protested once.

...I hate him.

"You promised me we would find a place, yet here we are still walking hours later," I scowl, beginning to slow down in pace. "Why did i even ask you to come?"

"My word is true, Master Grim. Soon enough we'll find a place, you'll see."

Master Grim? That's new. He and all the other lowlifes always called me "(Name)" or "Master (Name)".

The name my father gave me.

I shrug it off and let this pass. Anything was better than that name.

The two of us continue trekking for a while but at one point I begin to suddenly feel faint. It was so sudden and uncalled for that I started to panic, thinking this was a spell casted onto me from maybe one of the Zalgoloids that had found me or Zalgo himself.

"Syngrath, I can barely walk anymore. What's going on here?" I growl, my magic essence too weak for me to even glide anymore. I descended onto the ground and wobbled forwards using my legs. "It doesn't seem to be a threat from anyone on our side, however there is a spell casted upon this area that's meant to keep outsiders from getting in," Syn responded; even his voice was strained as he tried to keep himself together through the sudden force. On the honor of his servitude though, he wouldn't dare show any signs of weakness, so he fought it hard.

At one point, the spell was so great that I was forced onto my knees, dragging myself forwards. "This c-can't be happening to me. I'm the Grim Reaper!" I forced through clenched teeth, pulling my knees through the dirt. "Would you allow me to carry you, Sire?" Syngrath asked me, turning and seeing me struggling. "Haven't you t-touched me enough today? Catching m-m-me was good enough—I don't need your help-p."

My skeletal hand and my normal hand dug into the ground; I felt like I was at the last leg of my energy. Any more movement and I most likely would fall into a deep sleep. I was about to submit and ask Syngrath to just carry me when I see something flash in the distance, and then a colored object heading quickly in our direction. Syngrath used all of his strength to put himself in a defensive position above me, but in our current state I don't think any of us could take on what was coming.

As the object or figure gets closer, I notice it's the small frame of what looked to be a little girl. Her pale skin stood out in the darkness of the woods and her eyes were a gleaming red. The girl had long brown hair tied at the end with a red bow and she wore a pink, long sleeved dress. Her face, as she got closer, told me that she seemed to be carefree and happy.

She stopped when she came upon my servant, standing over me protectively even though he was shaking from head to toe with weakness and me, the embodiment of death itself cowering on the ground, a hideous image of a man with a half a skeleton for a face and a hand that looked like it sat in pure acid for months.

She gasped and covered her mouth with her hands, like a little drama Queen. "Oh, oh my god! Mr. Slendyman!!! There's intruders here!!! Come quick!"