Chapter 13

Surprise bonus update!

Consider this my apology for chapter 12

 — — — — —

Magnolia

Ember and I quickly fly up and out of the opening of the sunken cavern. The sun is blinding and the fall air is cool and crisp. I bathe in the fresh air and sun's rays, delighting in its warmth.

I haven't flown in over five months and the additional load of the twins quickly drains me of energy. I land unsteadily in the thick vegetation of the forest and take a seat on the nearest boulder to catch my breath.

"You okay, Mags?"

"Yeah, just a little winded." I laugh weakly. "Do you know where we are?"

"No, I haven't been to the surface in decades." She admits sadly. "Do you think you can fly?"

"I can, but not for long. It's harder to breathe than I expected."

"That's normal," she reassures me and rubs my belly, a small smile grows on her face. "They've grown so much and they're running out of room. Like I said before it could be any time now; a month, a week, a day. It's hard to say since they're part wolf."

I look down at my swollen belly, one of the twins kicks at me and my hand moves unconsciously over the spot to meet them, pressing back against their hand or foot to let them know that I feel them and that I'm here.

I take in a deep breath and exhale forcefully, trying to steady my heart rate and regulate my breathing. I stick my hand out silently requesting her assistance to stand. She grabs hold of my hand and helps hoist me up off the boulder.

"Let's walk for a bit, then we'll see about flying."

The sun is directly above us, making it difficult to tell which direction is which. We ultimately decide to walk in the direction directly away from the rock face that sits behind the cavern's opening.

I gain a little more energy and a little more speed with every step I take, knowing that each one brings me closer to home.

Home.

A place that only existed in my dreams for the last few months, and sometimes not even then as most dreams turned into nightmares orchestrated by the sociopath of Drow Hollow.

I'm able to glide through the forest for short distances, fueled by the increasing proximity to true freedom. We alternate between walking, jogging, and gliding through the woods, heading west we now realize outrunning the descending sun.

Ember and I don't speak, and we don't look back.

Our only mission is to make it to a city or familiar landmark so we can call my brother and get teleported home. My heart flutters with anticipation at seeing my mates again, being in their warm embrace and inhaling their comforting scent. I want to feel their hands on my belly, in awe of the life they put inside me.

We've been on the move for hours. My legs are moving on autopilot, I'm afraid that if I stop I won't have the strength to start back up again. So on and on we go.

A few minutes later I catch the sound of cars, lots of cars moving fast.

"I think there's a road up ahead. If we follow it we're sure to reach a town." I say quietly to Ember.

"Let's walk from here on." She suggests, which is a huge relief to me.

We remain in the woods out of sight, but we travel parallel to the road that cuts through the forest. After another 15 minutes or so, the road ends at a gate that leads into a developed property, one that looks similar to the pack grounds of Shadowmoon.