Chapter 21

Happiest of Fridays to you

**Mature Content Warning**

— — — — —

Rohanor

Varian and I sprint as fast as we can up to Mags' room. It takes extraordinary effort not to shift just to get there faster, plus I get the sense that if I give over control to Aedan I might not get it back for quite some time.

Her scent beckons us towards her, it gets stronger and more enticing as we get nearer to her room.

I can't believe Varian and I have been going about business as usual for the last 5 months while she was being tortured and, by the look of her belly, raped.

The thought nauseates me, it enrages me, it makes flames billow off the surface of my skin. I want to light the entire fucking world on fire.

But somehow that all fades immediately when I see her looking so small, curled up into herself, hiccuping sobs into her pillow. In this moment I'm not angry at her, or my parents, or Xander, because right now I'm broken, too.

Varian and I slowly walk over to her bed. She doesn't say anything to us, doesn't lift her head to see who it is, she doesn't acknowledge us at all.

Where do we even begin, Ro? Varian asks, his tone laced with worry.

I think we just go back to the start, and we mend the cracks along the way.

I wish I had the answer. But it's the only thing I can think of to do. Sometimes people don't want a pep talk and inspirational words, they don't want to be told that it's going to be okay and that things will turn around.

Sometimes people just need to know there's someone who doesn't want to try to fix you. Someone who will give you the space you need to fall apart safely, and when you're done that person will help pick the pieces back up no questions asked.

Varian climbs into bed and settles in behind her while I walk around to the other side and lay down facing her. We don't speak, but we make our movements slow and deliberate to give her time to say no if she wishes.

Varian pulls her to him so they're pressed flush together. I drape my arm over hers and run my fingers through her shortened hair. I glide my fingertips over her cheeks and across her lips, trailing faint sparks wherever we connect.

Our bond has suffered, it's been fractured and weakened. But it can be revived. It will be.

I cup her cheek in my hand and fix my eyes on her face. Slowly she lifts her eyes to meet mine, that beautiful flame licking within her irises. When her eyes fully meet mine, her beautiful little face slowly scrunches up as if in pain as she releases a feral cry and throws herself into my arms, nuzzling into my chest as she heaves from the sobs.

Varian and I plant kisses all over her — her hair, forehead, neck, shoulders in an attempt to mend the cracks of our bond and solidify our souls once more.

"Ro?" Mags breathes softly against my chest.

"I'm here, Princess." I whisper back to her.

The sobs start anew, her body convulsing with her cries. "I've missed you both so much." She whimpers against me, trying to subdue her tears.

I cup her chin gently and tilt her head back so I can look at her. I kiss the skin under her eyes, following the trail of tears and kissing them away. I follow the stream all the way down her cheeks to the corner of her mouth.