Chapter 18

HAPPY BIRTHDAY xadamsmp !!!

— — — — —

Magnolia

The temperature of the room plummets, the mood sobers.

"He'll be avenged, princess. Illian is going to suffer tenfold." My dad assures me.

"Bastian, this is overwhelming for everyone. Why don't we leave the kids to relax and catch up. I trust the boys won't let her out of their sight."

"No ma'am," Xander answers immediately, earning himself a snarl from the Alphas.

"Make sure she rests," my mom looks at each of the guys one by one to make sure they understand that it's not a request but an order, a Queen's order. "Girls, why don't you come with me and we'll get you settled into your own rooms?" My mom addresses Kat and Ember.

Ember looks at me for approval, I know she's reluctant to leave my side but she deserves to rest. Besides, I still have to deal with the Alphas and whatever Accalia meant by wiping their memories.

My uncle and parents escort Kat and Ember from my office, leaving me, Incandis, Xander, and the Alphas standing around in a loose circle.

Several moments pass by in an increasingly uncomfortable silence, but ultimately it is Ro that breaks the silence.

"So, you're Xander? You're the one we're supposed to talk to?"

Xander nods his head. "I know you're angry, and I know you're going to be even angrier in a minute, but for what it's worth I was just following orders."

The twins scoff in unison. "How do we know this isn't still some trick? That you're not just planting false memories to suit some ulterior motive by the very people who allegedly put you up to the task in the first place?" Varian accuses Xander.

"You're asking me for proof?" Xander almost laughs. The Alphas' expressions remain stern and deadly serious, they're not convinced this isn't some elaborate plan to trap them into mating someone, mating me.

Xander looks to Incandis, exchanging a private and meaningful look. Incandis' eyes enlarge, his mouth is popped open like a trout. He's nervous. It doesn't immediately make sense to me, they've been best friends their whole lives. What could Incandis be nervous about?

Xander looks again at the twins. "You're going to have to trust me that it's the truth. I have the ability to manipulate memories to an extent. I can make someone forget things completely, like locking them away until they want them unlocked again...if  they ever do. I can't give someone a false memory, but what I can do is distort the truth of a memory. I can change small details, like people, places, time, but not an entire memory."

Varian crosses his arms over his chest, skepticism etched into his eyes. "Again, how can we believe that?"

Xander looks again at my brother. I'm looking back and forth between the two of them trying to intercept whatever non-verbal signals they're sending to one another.

Incandis gives his head the smallest shake, that nervous expression still hanging on his features.

Xander stuffs his hands in his pockets, his shoulders are hunched up to his ears and his gaze drops to the floor.

"Xander, don't..." Incandis pleads, taking a step closer to Xander in some last ditch attempt to prevent the next words from spilling off his chest.

Xander lifts his head up immediately locking eyes with me. The expression in his eyes almost brings me to my knees. He looks sad and broken. He looks guilty.