Chapter 42

How is it August already?

— — — — —

Ember

I'm relieved that Mags and them don't linger so I can go ruminate privately over how mortifying it was that they caught me practically nesting in Xander's arms.

Xander played it off smoothly with his casual charm while I buried my head in the sand wishing I was a shadow walker and not a healer so I could slip away unseen.

If Mags was bothered at all by how unprofessional her guardian and I were acting, she didn't show it. I'm not sure what or if anything will come of Xander and me but I know that if I have to choose between him and Mags I'll pick her every time. She's my best friend, my Queen.

Incandis comes running through the hallways as I make my way to leave. "Ember! You haven't seen Mags around here have you?"

"Hey, relax, she's okay. She just left with Xander and the twins. They're dealing with Ian." I say calmly and smile when I can see him shedding his anxiety over having lost her.

"Why do you have the babies? Where's Kat?" I hand Cole over to him and smirk at him. He may not be a wolf but he's just as territorial as one when it comes to the safety of his loved ones.

"Everything is fine now, but she could probably benefit from seeing you. We can go together, I have a feeling she'll want to see the babies, too." I frown remembering how close Kat was to being forced to hand them over to Illana.

The fact that she resisted as much as she did only proves how strong she really is.

Incandis teleports us up to Kat's room, but when we don't find her there he tries Ianthe's suites next. Sure enough we find Ianthe and Accalia sitting together but still no sign of Kat.

"Incandis, everything alright? Where's your sister?" Ianthe asks as soon as she notices us by the door.

Incandis looks to me for a response. "She's with Ro, Varian, and Xander. They're dealing with Ian."

"Illana said he was dead?" Accalia questions.

"He's as good as, but at the moment still breathing."

"Where's Kat?" Incandis asks.

Ianthe's and Accalia's expressions soften with sadness before Accalia speaks. "She said she was going to wait for you in your room."

The words have scarcely left her lips before Incandis teleports out of his mother's room, leaving me behind with the twins in my arms.

I sigh with amusement and move to leave for my room, but Ianthe's voice makes me pause once more. "Ember, dear, you're welcome to stay with us until everyone gets back. I like to think Accalia and I can be good company." She smirks at Accalia who throws her back a wink.

"Of that I have no doubt, ma'am. Thank you for the offer but it might be a while before they're back. Would you like me to notify you when they've returned?" It feels like the appropriate thing to ask, after the day we've had the least I can do is let them sleep peacefully knowing their children are safe.

"No that's alright, Ember. I'm sure it'll reach me one way or another." Her smile warms the chill that had seeped under my skin while under Illana's control.

I simply smile, bow my head, and head out and down to my room. It feels strange saying "my room," I guess it's more accurately "the room where I'm staying...for now." The simple fact is I'm not from here, I'm not from the Hollow, my real home was destroyed long ago along with anyone who mattered to me.