Chapter 17

HAPPY BIRTHDAY kimberly924365 !

She used to be mine - Chloe Adams

She's imperfect, but she tries

She is good, but she lies

She is hard on herself

She is broken and won't ask for help

She's gone, but she used to be mine

— — — — —

Magnolia

Maybe it's the hormones, maybe it's the blinding rage making me spiteful and vindictive, but whatever the cause is I'm disinterested in listening to whatever explanation they have to offer.

This is the single worst day of my entire life. My friend, the man who saved my life twice, is dead, my mates may as well be strangers, I'm due with their babies any minute, and Ian is still breathing.

Usually when people say 'it can't get any worse' it almost guarantees that it will. But I can't possibly see how things could  get worse for me.

I'm too tired to care, their dismissal of our bond has taken the wind out of my wings and I'm free falling to the ground.

Some people crack open like an egg when the going gets tough. Not me though. For better or worse I double down. I let that anger and rage and heartache harden around me like a shell, locking in the pain and shielding me from any further emotional connection or damage.

The twins had cracked that shell, they peeled it from me piece by piece until my heart was exposed and vulnerable to their love. And what have I learned from it? That I should never have let my guard down in the first place.

"If it's all the same to you, I'd like to just call my brother and go home." My voice is deceptively confident.

Everyone stops mid-stride and turns to face me.

"Runidar can I borrow your phone?"

"Mags, please," he looks crestfallen, "Let us explain."

"I don't care." The Alphas snarl at my sharp words. "I'm tired, it's been a long day, and I need to get back to my family."

I look over at Ember and grab her hand. I feel guilty that I have a home to return to while she's lived for decades with the painful memory of her home being destroyed. But if this experience together doesn't make us family now then I don't know what will.

"Now please, Runidar."

Runidar reluctantly hands me his phone which I use to call Incandis.

"Hey Rune, what's up?" My brother's voice is music to my ears.

"Hey, D. It's me."

There's a long stretch of silence on the other end, I actually take the phone away from my ear so I can look to make sure the call is still connected.

"Mags? Is that really you? Where are you?" His excitement is marred with anxiety, he's practically hysterical by the third question.

"I'm in Shadowmoon with —"