Chap 2: The Date

Jiang Cheng's pov:

The tension is palpable between him and Lady Hua Yun, both standing quite a distance from each other as they stroll down the street markets of Yunmeng. Master Hua sticks close by his sister as if standing guard.

Their retinue had been dismissed earlier with the Hua siblings' luggage, and were given permission to head straight to the Jiang sect compound to rest.

Jiang Cheng chooses to focus on the vendors to distract himself from the awkwardness he had gotten himself into.

Although he and Hua Yun were suppose to be on a 'date' of sorts, Hua Yun hasn't spoken another word to him since entering the market. Not too far from him, Hua Yongrui was also remaining quiet as he kept his eyes on his sister. 

The deeper they went into the market, the more lively and bubbly Hua yun became like she was regaining her usual confidence, and soon she was walking a few metres ahead of Jiang Cheng and her brother.

She ooh-ed and ah-ed at the items being sold and tried all the street food, not bothering to wait for both men to catch up with her, before flitting to another stall.

With Master Hua sticking close to him and Hua Yun in front of them, Jiang Cheng compares the three of them to a married couple with a kid.

"Ge, look! A jewellry store!" Hua yun runs back to her brother and pulls on his arm, heading in the direction of the store.

"Slow down! It's not proper to run!" Hua Yongrui scolds her lightly with a laugh, and sends a quick apologetic look to Jiang Cheng. 

Jiang Cheng's face goes warm when they met eye contact. He forces himself to snap out of it, and hurries to follow after the siblings. Stepping into Huang's Pawn Shop And Jewellry, he's immediately swarmed by the store's staff and owner.

They all fuss about with him, ensuring that he felt welcomed and showering him with praises. "Thank you leader Jiang for choosing to visit our little store!" 

Jiang Cheng dismisses all of them and raises them from their bows, informing them that they were here with the Huas.

The staff members and the owner turn their attention to Hua Yongrui and Hua Yun instead. They greet the two and apologise profusely for not recognising them at first. 

Hua Yongrui waves off their apologies with a smile, while Hua Yun didn't even react.

"Wah~ They're all so pretty! I want all of them!" Hua Yun gushes at a table of necklaces and earrings. She goes from one table to the next, putting on accessories and taking them off, until she's tried on nearly half of the things in the store.

Master Hua looks at the necklaces on display too. He picks out two different necklaces and shows them to Jiang Cheng. "Which do you like more?"

Jiang Cheng examines them both. One was a beaded necklace with a green and purple jade pendant, and the other was a cord necklace with a pearl white stone. Both had their good and their bad. Either way, both would look lovely around Hua Yongrui's neck.

"This one." Jiang Cheng eventually points at the second necklace.

Master Hua puts the other one down and admires the chosen necklace. "Excellent choice, Leader Jiang!"

Jiang Cheng secretly preens at the comment and he even offers to pay for it.

"Oh, thank you. That's very generous of leader Jiang." Hua Yongrui smiles at him. The other man's smile was like a beam of warm sunlight, sending a wave of love over him. Feeling bold, Jiang Cheng wanted to offer to put the necklace on him, but Master Hua unexpectedly called for his sister.