Chap 15: The World Was Wide Enough

A/n: (refering to video) I am in pain now. *Video was not made by me, all credits to the OG creator of the video.
Title is a lyric taken from The World Was Wide Enough from Hamilton, the Broadway Musical

Warnings include;
Mentions of (canon) character(s)' death(s),
Swearing,
Self-loathing
.
.
.
Narrator's Pov:

"Hit me. Punch me, or kick me. I don't care. I've disarmed myself and I won't fight back. Throw all your anger at me." Jiang Cheng said in all seriousness.

Wei Wuxian stares at him like he's grown two heads, then he lets out a single humourless 'ha'. "You think that's going to make everything better? That what, hitting you will make it all okay?"

Jiang Cheng actually thinks Wei Wuxian might really hurt him.

Then, the punch lands.

Wei Wuxian's fist collided with his cheek and Jiang Cheng's face was thrown to the left from the force. The rest of his body followed and he crumpled to the floor.

His jaw and cheek buzzed with pain, and he suspects that Wei Wuxian had injected some spiritual energy into his hit.

Wei Wuxian comes to stand over him and bends down to grab at Jiang Cheng's collar harshly. Another punch struck Jiang Cheng's jaw before he couldn't even process the first punch.

The second one hurt almost as much as the first one, and this time he could taste blood. Jiang Cheng could sense the hate and anger in the shorter man's hits.

'You only hurt him. It doesn't matter what you do. You always hurt him.' Jiang Cheng thought to himself. Wei Wuxian's actions were all justified, Jiang Cheng deserved this.

Wei Wuxian's eyes glow red and his arm pulls back for the third punch. His fist became covered with a layer of resentful energy. His eyes only showed rage when he threw his fist, aiming to break Jiang Cheng's nose. "HYAAAHHH!!!"

Jiang Cheng's eyelids slipped shut to prepare for the blow, but instead a rush of wind grazed his cheek and then: WHAAMM!!

Jiang Cheng snapped opened his eyes and stared at his brother in a mixture of surprise and shock.

Wei Wuxian had made it seem like he was aiming for his head but changed the course of his fist at the last minute. He hit the floorboard right beside Jiang Cheng's head, smashing the floorboard into pieces and leaving a cavity in the shape of his fist.

A tear fell and rolled down Jiang Cheng's cheek and then another, except they weren't his tears.

Tears escaped from Wei Wuxian's eyes, his irises having turned back to their normal silver. He sniffled uncontrollably and he slowly let go of Jiang Cheng's shirt collar.

He moved away from the other man and stood up, holding his right fist to his chest like it was broken. Jiang Cheng felt relieved that Wei Wuxian's fist was fine, albeit some bruising.

Wei Wuxian had his mouth parted but no sound came out as if he was stuck in a silent cry, as more and more tears dripped onto the floor.

Jiang Cheng wants to comfort him and to offer a hug, but he knows Wei Wuxian wants nothing to do with him. They were old friends turned strangers, they both lost what they once had.

"...I hate you so much, right now..." The man in red said, sadness clear in his tone but his voice never wavered. "You put the people I love in danger! I hate you! I hate you!"

Every word was like a punch to his gut, each one more painful than the last. Jiang Cheng's eyes sting and he looks away, he can't let Wei Wuxian see him cry. He doesn't have the right to be shedding tears right now.