Chap 13: The Kids Will Be Alright

Warnings:

Mentions of a character nearly drowning to death,
Swearing,
Hating your uncle
.
.
.
Lan Sizhui's Pov:

Because Lan Sizhui had nearly drowned and suffered deep injuries, he was unfit to depart for Cloud Recesses just yet. Thus their journey back was hence delayed by two days.

The young man had been carried to the medical room, where he changed out of his drenched clothes for dry ones. A doctor and her assistants entered the room, disinfected his leg, wrapped it up with bandages and swadled him in warm blankets.

Through it all, his parents remained by his bedside because they both stubbornly refused to leave. The doctor and her assistants couldn't do anything so they let his parents stay.

"Feeling better, little radish?" Said baba.

Usually, Sizhui would become flustered whenever his baba called him by his nickname. As an adult, he felt that being called Ah-Yuan in front of others was already very embarassing, but being referred to as little radish was downright mortifying.

However, right now as he laid in a soft, warm bed (that was definitely not up to Gusu Lan regulations, as they tend to prefer stiff mattresses) with drowsy eyes and little energy left; he only felt comforted by his baba's teasing nature.

He made a humming noise, "I am." His purple eyes glanced around, "Where is Ning-shushu?"

Baba cracked a small grin and answered, "Pacing. He is worried sick about you, would you like to see him?"

Sizhui nodded, "I think it would be best. So he will stop worrying." He paused, then, "What about sect leader Jiang?" Both his fathers' bodies stiffened, and he realised he should have kept his mouth shut.

Fuqin said solemnly, "Let us not bring up leader Jiang." Sizhui frowned a little, "I'm sorry."

Fuqin's face softened and he put a hand on his head and smoothed his hair. "Ah-Yuan is not at fault." Leader Jiang is, was left unsaid between them.

"Rest now, Ah-Yuan. I'll go fetch Wen Ning." Baba said and he and fuqin left the room and closed the door. Not more than a second later, Sizhui heard frantic footsteps and rattling chains at the door. The door slid open and in rushed his Ning-shushu.

"Ah-Yuan!" Ning-shushu exclaimed and wrapped him in a hug which Sizhui joyfully returned.

When night drew near, his fathers and uncle Ning visited him another time to wish him goodnight. Even Madam Shu and her daughter made an appearance to wish him a swift recovery. Leader Jiang still had yet to show up (if he even was going to show up), and Sizhui was only slightly hurt by that.

When all was said and done, the doctor shooed everyone out then blew out all of the candles. Sizhui had the entire room to himself.

Head on the pillow, his eyes observed the lavendar ceiling and walls, his brain slowly pulling him into sleep. His eyes slipped closed and his brain switched off---

Then, the door slid open. Sizhui blinked opened his eyes as his cultivator instincts flooded in. He reached out with his hand and his sword immediately flew to its owner's hand from where it rested against a wall.

Shing!

Sizhui stood up on his bed even though his right leg throbbed with the action. "Hold it!" He commanded and held his blade to the intruder, eyes squinted to make out who his intruder was. The intruder froze then waved their hand in the dark.