Epilogue 1: Storms

Narrator's Pov:

When he comes to next, Jiang Cheng's met with the familar walls of the medical bay. He embarrassingly admits he's ended up here one too many times in just two months.

His body is numb all over, the doctor having put him on anaesthetic medicines.

The door opens and his advisor steps inside with a concerned expression on her face. Behind her is Shu Mei Ling who is sporting a cast on her left arm. She had been one of the few disciples injured from the fight with Jiao Yang.

Is Jiao Yang really gone? I have to check.....

He tries to sit up but Shu Jinghua and the doctor are quick to hold him down.

"Don't sit up you stupid! You have four broken ribs and I just re-stitched your stomach!" The doctor scolds him. She relays the list of injuries he's sustained, getting increasingly annoyed.

He's got several broken ribs, stitches along his stomach and a cut/swelling on his head. All in all, not the worse that has happened. At least he didn't almost lose a leg this time.

Equally annoyed by her, Jiang Cheng furrows his brows at the doctor to convey that he's upset that she's being rude to him. 

The doctor rolls her eyes, "Yeah, yeah. Take it out on my paycheck, I dare you." She gives him some medicine and told him what Not To Do that could risk worsening his injuries. Then she and her nurses leave him to attend to the other patients.

Mdm Shu sits down on a chair provided elegantly, while Shu Mei Ling sits on the foot of Jiang Cheng's bed.

She analyses him then blew out her bangs and laughs. "Damn, you look like crap."

Her mother smacks her on the arm, "Ah-ling, your manners! Leader Jiang is wounded, be mindful."

Mei Ling pouts at her mother, "He's the one who put himself in danger and nearly got killed."

Jiang Cheng glares at her, and uses his foot to nudge at his disciple's thigh. "You do remember I have the authority to exile you from Lotus Pier."

"Good, then I won't have to see your weird face anymore!" Mei Ling sticks her tongue out at him and pulls on her lower eyelids.

"YOU!--"

Shu Jinghua interrupts the two, "Enough you two! You're bickering like siblings. You are both adults, talk civilly."

The two send each other scathing glares then looked away, not bickering anymore.

Jiang Cheng's eyes return to the young woman and he stares at Shu Mei Ling's cast guiltily. "How's your arm kid?"

Shu Mei Ling glances at her left arm, wiggling her fingers. She shrugged her right shoulder, "Not that great...maybe if I get a full basket of candies, I'd feel better..."

"...Done."

Immediately, Shu Mei Ling's face lights up with glee and she hops to her feet like an energetic bunny. "Really?!" She wraps her arms around his shoulders, temporarily forgetting about his injuries.

"Mei Ling!" Shu Jinghua calls out in distress, worried about leader Jiang who's face was scrunched up in pain.

"Get. Off." Jiang Cheng said and Mei Ling removed himself from him, apologising profusely for forgetting that he's hurt. 

"This is the nicest thing you have ever done for me!" Shu Mei Ling says.

Jiang Cheng rolls his eyes at the exaggeration. "This is the nicest thing? Not; giving you the opportunity to train under Yunmeng, Jiang despite your low cultivation skills?"