33 - 𝙷𝚒𝚜 𝚃𝚛𝚞𝚎 𝙵𝚎𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜

┌─────────❍─────────┐

"I wonder if greed is directly proportional to happiness."

└─────────❍─────────┘

"Do you think...it would be better if we just broke up?"

"No."

"What?"

Satoru wiped the impending tears off the corners of my eyes with his thumb. "No. Wrong question. Try again, wife."

"But..." I paused, drawing in a deep breath. "What if things don't work out for us?"

"That doesn't make sense. It should be fine as long as we feel the same way towards each other, right?" Satoru objected, bringing his body closer to mine. There was a strange sense of desperation in Satoru's eyes as they gazed onto mine. "You still like me, right?"

He sounded unconfident. Maybe even scared.

"I do," I softly replied. "But how would I know that it's not just fleeting attraction for you?"

Satoru released a big sigh, his gaze finally brightening up with relief. "How will I even prove that if you're not willing to take a chance with me?"

"Idiot," I mumbled onto the back of my palm, hiding my embarrassment from him. Somehow, I couldn't help but mirror his smiling expression. His small chuckles were contagious.

"That's such a sweet endearment, wife," he teased, bringing my chin to his direction so he could check my expression.

The corners of my lips pulled downwards, my smile turning upsidedown and helpless. "Don't settle for anything less than what you deserve, Satoru."

"Does that mean I can't settle for anything more, too?," he reiterated. He brought his hand to my nape, his fingers gently entangling with my hair.

"Something more than what you deserve? Like?"

He leaned his forehead against mine, pushing my head closer with the hand that was on my nape. "You."

Me?

"I'm nothing exceptional," I dismissed in a more lighthearted and surrendering manner. "You can call it my insecurity, but at the end of the day, I'm still someone who's not worthy of you. You're too...up there."

Satoru did not respond for a long moment, so I pulled away and checked his reaction. Light hints of pink scattered over his cheeks and ears, contrasting the paleness of his skin. His glistening eyes turned to slits as the laugh he had been suppressing escaped his parted, robust lips. "You do realize you're also complimenting me by saying that, right?"