CHAPTER 13: TART RHYMES WITH FART

Once we'd made it to the kitchen, we spotted Trey waiting for us.

"Welcome back," he said with a smile, "oh? I'm assuming you couldn't find strawberries and resorted back to chestnuts?"

"Nope. They didn't even try looking for strawberries," I grumbled, crossing my arms. I then changed my voice to mimic Ace's: "OH wOuLd yA LoOk aT tHaT! chEstNuts EveRyWHerE! ThiS iS EaSiEr, GuYs!!!!! DURR DURR-" I stretched the skin under my eye as I made fun of Ace.

"I don't sound like that!" Ace scoffed, crossing his arms as well. "And it's true! We couldn't even find a caretaker to tell us where to get strawberries from, so it's easier to use these chestnuts instead!" I then stuck my tongue out at him as he did the same. Trey laughed at our childish antics and slightly pushed our nearing faces away from each other.

"It's alright," Trey smiled, "Also, the whole process of taking the nut out of the shell may actually prove to be more difficult than using strawberries..." Ace's jaw dropped.

"HAH! IN YO FAAAAAAAAAACE!" I snickered at the brokenhearted ginger as he squatted down in defeat.

"Tch, whatever! Let's just hurry up and get this over with!" The boy suddenly said as he quickly sprang up from his crouching position.

"S- slow down, daddy~!" I wailed quietly so only Ace and Deuce heard me. Trey was getting the nuts in a few bowls off to the side.

Ace snorted at my comment and put his hands on his face in dismay while Deuce's eyes widened and he stared at me in... fear?

"Why..." Ace muffled into his hands, "why are you like this."

"Honestly..." Deuce huffed in embarrassment as the two boys went to go help Trey.

"Pfft, what? It was funny~!" I laughed and followed them.

It was time to start peeling those chestnuts. It wasn't much of a problem at first, I'm used to doing this kind of thing. I used to work at a café that my family ran. By "work" I mean helping in the kitchen. I didn't get paid as much as the other employees did, which was fine by me, since my family literally owned the café to begin with.

It's so weird. I remember general knowledge from my home world, but I still can't seem to recall what caused me to end up here. I wonder if time's passing from my world- and if so, how much? Has anyone noticed I'm missing yet?

I didn't realized I'd been scrunching my face up in thought while I peeled the shells.

"Your face," Ace nudged me while he tried to hold his laughter in, "is that how you look when you're focused?" I loosened my features and looked at him with a confused expression.

"Huh? What are you talking about?" I asked innocently. No seriously. I had no idea what he was talking about. My obliviousness seemed to be amusing to the ginger.

"PFBAHAHA!" He laughed.

"WHAT'S SO FUNNY?!" I cried, frustrated. I took a piece of the chestnut shell and threw it at his face.

"HAHA- eck!" He yelped at the smooth shell hitting his cheek. "Nothing! You just looked cute!" He raised his hands in surrender.

"If you want to get this done, then less talking and more peeling," Trey grinned as Ace groaned.

~

Deuce watched everything while he was simply getting the job done. He was more of the observing type than the talking type, especially in a situation such as this. But... he wanted to talk. He wanted to be a part of their fun, too. He just didn't know how to join them without being awkward about it. (Y/N) and Ace had been fooling around the whole time as they peeled their chestnuts, so it was efficient and fun.