CHAPTER 4: SELF PRESERVATION

Steiner woke gasping, fumbling, and found that he could not move. Tabby's free hand covered his mouth. When he tried to bite her fingers, she pressed the blade and he stilled. "Hello, Lord Steiner." Her voice was low, sweet. "Death has come for you."

His eyes widened in the darkness, taking her in, lingering over her mask. Perhaps when he'd spoken earlier, he hadn't truly understood what his knowledge meant. Death. After a moment, he relaxed beneath her thighs and she removed her hand.

"Lord Parlow's killer makes an appearance at last."

"If you're looking for remorse, don't."

"Not even a little bit sorry? Too bad."

"Yes. Too bad." Her words came out flat.

"But you came to my bed after all?" He flashed her a knowing smile. "I knew you wanted to play." His hands went straight to her thighs. Wandering hands—hands that wanted to claim her, lavish her with pleasure. "Not really going to kill me, are you, Tabby?" His voice was a low purr. He squeezed.

She snarled. "Give me one reason I shouldn't slit your throat."

"...Because I have something you want?"

She barked a laugh. "I hope you don't mean your cock."

"No—but if you're interested..." His fingers trailed up the insides of her thighs in lazy circles. "How long have you searched? Hmm? Always so close, only to come away empty handed?" He stopped shy of the apex of her thighs. "Let's make a deal, you and I."

"I don't bargain with my marks. Unless you wish to negotiate a quick and painless death, in which case, yes, I'm listening." Her lips split into ferrel grin.

He laughed. She pressed her dagger in warning. "Very well. All right. But it would be a shame to let such a priceless gem to go to waste. You are, perhaps, the only person who can manipulate it? Why else would you want one?" She stilled. "Ah. Now I have your attention. Good."

"I'm listening."

He rubbed her thighs again. She ignored his obvious attempts at distraction. "How about you let me up and we discuss this like...civilized adults?"

"So you can scream? Call for help? Run for the door?"

He chuckled and bucked his hips, pressing the length of his arousal against her. Light! Was he actually enjoying this?! Perhaps he got a thrill from dangerous fuck-mates.

"I always knew you liked it on top, Tabby," he cooed. She didn't respond. "Fair enough. I don't mind it either. Good view from down here." He made a point of looking her up and down, lingering over her corset, over her curves.

She clenched her teeth and removed her dagger, climbing off him. "You obviously want something. What?"

He took his time rising. Lazy movements. Toying with her control. He threw on a robe, leaving a slice of his chest exposed, then took a seat on the sofa. The dying embers bathed him in an orange glow. He patted the seat beside him.

"I'll stand, thanks." She glanced at her hand and added, "Don't think this dagger won't find you if you—"

"If I what?" A slow smile crept to his lips.

"If you misstep." She snapped her fingers and flicked her hand, sending green light to envelop the walls, giving off an eerie glow. It wouldn't last as long as violet, but she didn't intend to take long.

"Impressive." He didn't look impressed. All he did was lean back and throw an arm carelessly over the sofa. "For the noise, I take it? So no one will hear me scream when you kill me?" This was still a game to him. She didn't say anything. "I assume you can manipulate all of them? The colors?" She offered a quick nod. "Yes. Very impressive." When she still didn't speak, he held up his hands. "Fine. I get it. Not interested in my questions. Will you at least remove your mask? I don't need the constant reminder of what you are."