CHAPTER 40: DESTRUCTION

They crossed a wide swath of Chroma, roof to roof, reaching Steiner's townhouse a short while later. Even with her maid's skirts hiked around her legs, it was tough work. Their pursuers, the palace guards, kept to the streets. Soon, they were lost.

On the ground in the alley, Tabby found herself doubled over, hands on her knees, vomiting, dizzy. "We left him," she breathed, fighting the tears that threatened her eyes. "We fucking left him, Steiner."

It wasn't just Midnight's loss crashing down around her, but Nit's, too. In a matter of hours, she'd lost everything she held dear. All of it—ripped away. Except, perhaps, Steiner. That experience had opened her eyes. She cared for him, too. But, if she was being honest, she would have traded him for the other two. Probably.

...Possibly.

"We didn't have a choice," Steiner said, voice low. "If...if he's not dead, we will get him back."

"How can you think that? You're delusional if you believe he's still alive, that Edwin would—"

"You forget who we are dealing with, Tabby. Use your head. Stop thinking like a lovesick puppy and start thinking like the Spect you were trained to be." That stung, but he didn't stop. "The High Mask won't kill his biggest bargaining chip. He will use Midnight. Likely, against you. To manipulate you. Don't play into his hand."

She calmed her breathing, fought through the pain in her head. In her heart. A pinprick of hope welled up inside her. He was right. Edwin would use Midnight—hurt him, yes—to get to her. But Midnight was strong. The strongest man she knew. If he could hold on, withstand Edwin's treatment, perhaps there was hope.

"We must leave the city," Steiner said, guiding her through his house, up the stairs, and into his study. "It't not safe for us to be here."

Leaving the city meant leaving Midnight. Separating herself from him. Putting distance between them. She fought the urge to protest, letting logic rule.

"I'll pack up what I need here, pull the carriage around, and pick you up from Elias's workshop. Get the rest of your things together. I want to be out of here in an hour."

"An hour?" She blinked, numb. Despite the jumbled confusion in her head, realization sank in. Leaving Chroma. After all this. "Give me two," she decided. "There's something I must do."

She glanced around Steiner's study, then went to the painting on the wall disguising his safe. She swung it out and entered the combination. She'd never watched him that night, when he'd opened it. But Nit had. Her heart tightened with a pang of despair. She didn't dare think about the bundle, still tied around her waist. Didn't dare think about her life without the mechanimal she'd called friend.

"Tabby..." Steiner cleared his throat, clearly displeased.

She pulled the door back and shot him a glare over her shoulder. Just as suspected, he had an extra full mask stored within. It was the sort of place one might hide a thing like that. She removed it.

Steiner's brows pulled together. "Do I even want to know?"

"No. You don't."

"Why do I get the feeling you're not headed to Elias's shop?" She squared her shoulders, hardening her expression. Whatever he saw in her eyes stopped him. "Fine, whatever you plan on, don't be careless."

She barked a laugh. "We are well beyond that, Steiner."

"Tabby..."

"No. I've got unfinished business. I'm not leaving unless and until that changes. I'll meet you in two hours. Elias's shop." With that, she disappeared down the hall. The bedroom he'd loaned her was untouched. A few of her things were there, including the outfit he'd laundered for her. She quickly changed clothes and left her bundle with Nit sitting on the bed. Pulling her hair back, she tied it into a bun and departed his townhouse, stepping out into the streets of Chroma for perhaps the last time.