CHAPTER 29: MIDNIGHT

Tabby pushed the deep emptiness of Nit's absence aside.

Midnight sharply inhaled, bolted up to sitting, and blinked. "What...?" He looked down at himself, prodding his abdomen. "Tabby?"

They were still in the Temple. Any minute they'd be discovered. Tabby stood and stumbled, arms out like a drunken sailor as she fought through her pain. Over the years, she'd learned how to focus through it, function through it, avoid making mistakes that would kill her. Gritting her teeth, she swept everything off the side table and into her satchel. Nit had been right. Her ring was missing—with its white prism. Everything else was there, including her black prism, completely unsuspected. She carefully tucked Nit away, kissing Nit's metal body. "We'll get you in the sunlight soon, my friend," she whispered, hoping it would work. She'd never drained Nit before. It felt like a crime, like killing them and hoping she might bring them back to life.

Midnight clambered to his feet, his movements stilted. She'd only done enough to keep him alive. He could barely walk—a sight for sore eyes that made her wince. He'd always been the strong one, steadfast and reliable. Seeing him weak illustrated just how badly things had gone wrong. She pulled his arm around her shoulders, supporting him. They stumbled for the door, but it opened before she reached it.

Her hands were ready to pull light, but the corridor was dark. Wall sconces had been extinguished. There was nothing to see by, which meant anyone could be lurking. She hesitated before moving out into the hallway.

A shadow of a figure loomed before her and she almost dropped Midnight to draw a weapon. "Ahh! Good, you made it."

"Steiner?! What the fuck?!"

Midnight tensed against her, muscles going rigid. He was in no state to react beyond that.

"Took you long enough," Steiner said. A faint red glow appeared, lighting his face and some of the world around them.

"You could have helped," she hissed, knowing how close Midnight had come to death. Steiner had simply left her in there to fend for herself.

"And deprived you of your revenge? I think not." His eyes roved over Midnight, assessing. Then the light winked out just as quickly. "Besides, I had other matters to handle. Someone had to keep the corridor clear." Just as he said it, her feet hit a body and she stumbled, Midnight with her. Strong hands wrapped around them both to kept them from falling. Steiner released her and stepped away.

"How many?" she asked.

"Three, just before I extinguished the sconces. More will come. Did you get your things? What happened to Midnight? Will he slow us down?"

"Everything but the ring. And don't worry about Midnight. I can shield us if needed. I've got him." Midnight grunted. It came out more like a dismissive snort.

"Good. Let's go." Steiner led them down the corridor, holding tight to her arm.

Not long after, he shifted his grip to her hand. Despite the missing nails on her fingers, despite the pins and needles even the gentlest touch brought, she couldn't bear to pull away as she laced her fingers through his. She held him like a lifeline. There was warmth in his grip, reassurance. "Hurry. Not long now."

They rushed into another corridor and straight for a set of stairs. A less traversed part of the Temple. Footsteps sounded behind them. Steiner's soft red glow returned, but briefly. "Keep going." He dropped her hand and forced them ahead without him, doubling back. She heard several cries behind her and then silence. She did not stop. He caught up moments later, breathing more heavily through his nose, and took her hand again. "I don't think any others will follow now. What of Nit?"