CHAPTER 28: NIT'S PRISM

A bucket of frigid water doused her. Tabby woke, gasping. The world swam in and out of focus. The agony in her back was immense. Tears immediately pricked her vision.

She pieced together the events that had brought her here. Her hands were no longer chained above her head. She was seated, strapped to a chair. She knew exactly what it meant.

Her formal punishment was over. The real punishment was yet to begin. She would scream—she knew it—and she hated herself for it.

To lose control in such a way was demoralizing beyond anything a person experienced. She was powerless to stop it—but not entirely powerless. This would be her ultimate test. True power rested in her ability to hold her secrets through the pain, even when it went against what she knew about torture. Saturated, she was likely to give Reaper everything he wanted, and more.

"Wake up, Tempest. You've slept long enough." Reaper came into view. "I have questions, you have answers. Though I hope you do not give them up anytime soon."

"I would hate to deprive you." The deadly calm of her voice surprised even her.

"I would hate that too." He fiddled with his dagger, the same one with the red handle. A few Spects lingered near the doorway: two quarter masks, a half mask, and a three quarter mask. If she could break free of her bonds while Reaper's back was turned, she could take them. Not all of them, perhaps. Maybe the quarter masks and the half mask. Her prisms were sitting on the table. If she could get to them...

She tried not to look at Reaper's mask. The very sight of it churned her stomach. Who was she kidding? He'd never let his guard down.

"I cannot deny that I have longed for this moment." His gentle laugh was muffled. "It's a shame I can't have you all to myself...yet." His eyes looked her up and down. A shiver raced down her spine when his gaze landed on her crotch.

He grunted. "What? Not eager to spread your legs for me?" He shrugged. "I'd rather have you fighting than compliant. Besides, you'll be begging for it when I'm done with the rest of you."

"You're disgusting," she spat, shaking all over.

"And you're weak! But I always knew that. Midnight's apprentice and a girl? What a joke. You know...I hoped you would refuse to kill your mark the day I took your little friend's life. Almost a shame I had to kill her. I had fun with her, you know. Did she ever tell you that?"

Fury like molten metal spread through her, glowing white hot around the edges. Clora hadn't said a word. Was he lying? Or had she simply been too afraid to tell Tabby? Was that why she'd refused her mark that night? As a way out? To escape a master that would have made life a literal hell?

Her heart broke all over again. Midnight would've never treated her that way. They only reason they fucked was because she'd nearly forced him into the arrangement a few years past. It had been entirely her doing, not his.

"Ahh. So she didn't tell you? Yes, it was about all she was good for."

"I'll kill you." Fury poured into every word. "I'll kill you for what you did to her."

"Not sure you're in a position to." He tossed his dagger from hand to hand. "And anyway, I have been given another opportunity to do the same to you. Fortune has a way of—"

"How about you ask your questions, you murderous disgusting fuck. I don't have all night."

"Oh, but I do." She could almost picture his sneer behind the mask. "And I plan to take my time."

"Great. Sounds like I'll die from boredom more than anything else."

A snort came from her audience, giving her a shred of satisfaction.