CHAPTER 20: RESCUING ELIAS

Tabby watched the precinct headquarters, watched the constables coming and going, keeping an eye out for the inspectors. This precinct covered the entire city and had four inspectors. They were likely at home, cuddled up in bed. But she couldn't be too sure.

She had twelve darts—all that was left of her emergency stash from Elias's workshop. She'd need to visit her safehouse tomorrow and make new ones. Elias would be furious if she killed his captors, so sedation and disarmament was the best option. But at the end of it all, she'd do whatever was necessary to free him.

Constables feared maskers. She was fairly certain they would cower from her without a fight. Though, she almost hoped they'd be brave. She wanted them to see her—to see her anger—and punish them for what they had done. For taking someone precious from her.

It was careless—so careless. But she wasn't in the best frame of mind. Midnight was right to advise against attachments. Attachments made a Spect vulnerable and stupid. But she couldn't be like him. She'd never be heartless the way he was, the way other Spects were.

As much as she used her father's name as a reason for her madness, she couldn't deny that part of her was still...human.

Word of her antics here tonight would reach the Spectrum, sooner rather than later. She'd be called in for it. Punished, too. It was a risk she was willing to take. That was a worry for another time.

Sighing, she willed her muscles to relax. There was no time for a better plan. Elias could be on the rack this very minute. If they removed any fingers, he'd never work again. That alone agitated her. Nit chirruped encouragement from her shoulder in the form of a dragonfly.

At quarter to two, she steeled her resolve, donned her half mask, and waltzed into the building.

The entry foyer was part of a large room on the main floor lit by gas powered chandeliers and wall sconces. Bars spanned floor to ceiling, separating the desks beyond from where she stood. She strode directly to the gate.

It took all of two seconds for the man behind the intake window to swear and shout. "We've got a masker!" he screeched, falling over in his chair before righting it. Only three out of twenty desks were occupied. The night crew. The three constables shot to their feet, eying her, revolvers in hand, pointed directly at her.

She ignored them, pulling violet from her prisms to shield herself and unlock the gate. Nit took flight, buzzing about.

"You cannot be here!" cried the constable manning the window.

"Oh? So shoot me."

They knew what would happen if they did. But they tried anyway. Shots rang out, echoing from the walls. She cringed at the noise, sure to attract unwanted attention. The bullets disintegrated when they struck the shield of violet blanketing her. The only color strong enough to work against metal casings.

"See? Pointless." She walked over to the man at the window. "What's your name?" He tensed. "I said—your name!" She shoved a dagger against his throat.

"Em—Emory."

"Hello, Emory. I believe you have someone I want." His throat bobbed. Sweat beaded on his forehead. "The questions is, will you come between me and my prize?"

"I...no," he squeaked, his mustache bobbing.

"Good. Then stay out of my way," she hissed, turning from him, daring the other three to step forward. They didn't so much as move. Not so strong now, with useless weapons and a masker in their presence. "If you tell a single soul I was here, I will hunt you down and butcher you in your sleep. Your wives too, if you've got them. Do you understand?" She looked at each of their desks, at the name cards, repeating their names aloud, committing them to memory. They dumbly nodded. "Good, where are the prisoners kept? And the contraband—I'd like that too. Which way?"