CHAPTER 17: EAST END

After finishing a few tasks for Elias, Tabby made her way to East End. It was mid-morning. She'd managed to rise early...for once. Her satchel was pulled safely in front of her and daggers were hidden everywhere she could stow them.

She made her way through Gold Spiders territory—the richest gang in Chroma. They took a cut from each manufactory owner along the Taewae to patrol the streets and ensure violence stayed to a minimum. As a result, most workers passing through went untouched and untaxed. Their bosses paid a steep price for their protection.

They'd recognize her as an outsider but wouldn't touch her. She'd made it a point to introduce herself to all of Chroma's gangs. Still, she kept her left hand close to a hidden dagger.

Nit stuck to the rooftops, pointing out constables and watchmen ahead. She spotted each of Seth Kour's manufactories. They were the largest, set side by side, butting up to the riverfront. Textiles. Chroma's biggest export ever since the invention of the mechanical loom. Each had a monstrous dock along the river.

The drone of machinery was defining. Impossible to tune out. The haze of smoke was even worse, choking her. She was tempted to remove a handkerchief and cover her nose. She clenched her teeth instead, and approached the first building. A few figures eyed her from the shadows but did not approach.

"I'm looking for Mr. Kour," she said, speaking sweetly the guards at the gate. "I'm Lizzy Weddell from the Chroma Times. I've got an interview with him." She slipped them a gold sovereign each. They glanced at each other before eying her. In her gown, she looked harmless enough, or so she hoped.

"Apologies, Miss Weddell, but Mr. Kour didn't leave no instructions to see you."

"Oh." Her face fell. "But..." She retrieved her notepad and the forged note she carried, eyeing it with drawn brows. "He was supposed to meet me at eleven." She looked up at them, lashes fluttering, offering a coy smile.

"We could always take her up to the top and hand her off to Miss Reignheart," the left one offered, cheeks growing flushed. His companion elbowed him, scowling.

"Oh, thank you. I'm sure she'll be able to sort out the confusion." She passed them a couple more coins and the guards agreed to show her up to Mr. Kour's office. They deposited her in the small waiting room outside, leaving her in his secretary's care.

Miss Reignheart's eyes narrowed behind a pair of spectacles. "Miss Weddell? Hm... Mr. Kour is in the middle of a meeting. He doesn't have you on the books." She glanced down again, frowning, as if she might have overlooked an appointment.

Tabby glanced over her shoulder. The door into the waiting room had closed, leaving them alone. The other led to Seth Kour's office. "But I've got his note here," she said, rummaging around in her bag, removing a dart. Before Miss Reignheart reacted, she leaned over her desk and stuck her with it. Miss Reignheart's eyes went wide. She was too surprised to call out before slumping over her paperwork. It would keep her down for several hours. If she had too much, it would kill her.

Tabby locked the door leading into the waiting room and summoned violet light from her choker, flicking her fingers to shove it into the cracks and around the knob, effectively sealing them in. Guards would have to break through the wood before hoping to open it. She affixed her half mask, more symbolic than anything, for the work she was about to do. Then she went to Kour's door and placed her ear against it.

"...we don't have that kind of resources at our disposal," said a voice from the other side.

Removing another dart and her blowpipe, she readied herself and tapped on the door. "What is it?!" the same voice snapped. Kour's tone said enough. He was an absolute joy to work with. She almost pitied Miss Reignheart as she threw it open. "I told you this was an—" Kour flew to his feet at the sight of her, blowpipe at her lips, and sure enough, a dagger flew straight for her. His reactions were impeccable! Impressive, even.