Chapter 7: Truth or Dare

A/N: The bits of writing in the stars are flashbacks, just to let you know. Also, the writing style in this part is a little different to previous chapters so let me know what you think. Anyway, enjoy the chapter.

Dan stepped into my house and stared around in awe. His eyes flickered between the ornate chandelier on the hallway ceiling to the large archway into the front room to the large staircase and its golden banisters.

"I guess we're pretty well off." I said almost sheepishly.

"It's beautiful. But a bit much if I'm totally honest. I like stuff a little more simple and understated." Dan replied.

"Then you'll love my room!" I grabbed Dan by the wrist and pulled him up the large staircase and turned left at the top of the stairs. Second door on the right. I pushed the door open and walked in, quickly scooping all my dirty clothes and stuffing them in the wardrobe and straightening my duvet before sitting gingerly on my bed and watching Dan's reaction to my bedroom.

He took quite a while to inspect my room, as if it determined whether we could be friends or not. His eyes flickered over the posters pinned to my wall - a mixture of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and bands such as Muse and My Chemical Romance - before letting his eyes wander to the collection of stuffed lion toys sitting on top my wardrobe. I blushed slightly, thinking Dan would find it babyish for a sixteen year old boy to still like stuffed toys. But after looking all over the room, Dan looked back at me with a huge grin on his face.

"Do you like it?" I asked.

"Nope. I love it!"

A smile spread across my face as Dan sat down next to me, still grinning.

"1, 2, 3."

"4, 5."

"6, 7, 8."

"9, 10, 11."

"12."

"13, 14."

"15."

"16."

"17, 18, 19."

"20."

"21. Dammit, Dan!"

"Truth or dare?"

"Um, dare."

"Lick my shoe."

I pulled a disgusted face and reached over, grabbing Dan's shoe before touching it with my tongue.

"No, you've got to properly lick it!"

I sighed, before running my tongue the entire length of Dan's shoe.

"Oh, yuck! What have you been walking in!?"

We both burst out laughing and I looked admiringly over at the brunette boy sat in front of me. This was the first time I had ever seen him laugh. It was a beautiful laugh, like music ringing in my ears. But it didn't seem right. It sounded almost empty, and although his mouth opened wide and his smile stretched, his eyes stayed dull. They didn't light up the way you'd expect.

I shook the thought from my mind and continued with the game of Truth or Dare. But there was another question bouncing around my head, so when Dan picked Truth after landing on 21, I stole my opportunity, distinctly remembering the first time we ever had a conversation.

** "I can talk perfectly well, but I choose not to." **

"Why do you choose to wrote things down rather than saying them aloud?" I asked cautiously.

Dan stared for a minute up into my pale face, eyes glazed over slightly as if he were thinking. Then he started scribbling something in the notebook laid out on the carpet in front of him. When he finished writing, he flung the notebook in my direction as if mad about something. While I read the message, Dan started collecting up the rest of his things.

"It's getting late. I think it's best I go. I had a great time though and I'd love to do this again sometime. See you tomorrow."

When I had finished reading I looked up into those beautiful brown eyes to see them swimming with tears. Before he let one fall, however, Dan had grabbed the notebook, stuffed it in his bag and made it halfway to my bedroom door before I pulled myself off the floor and lunged towards him, grabbing his wrist. In the second before he wrenched his arm away, I swear I could feel electricity shooting up my own wrist from where my fingers were clasping Dan's tanned forearm, pale on gold.

"Dan, wait. I'm sorry. I should have known that question was too personal. And it's none of my business why you choose to communicate without spoken words. I'm really sorry. Please stay."

Dan simply shook his head, tears threatening to spill onto his cheeks. He continued on his way to the door, wrenched it open and somehow made it down the corridor and up to the front door before I'd even made it to the top of the stairs. Dan glanced back up only for a second before yanking open the front door and striding into the night.

*

A/N: Chapter 7 complete!!!

I'm actually really happy with this chapter so let me know what you guys think. And I'm sorry it's been really angsty so far and there's gonna be a bit more angst before fluff but hold on because I will give you guys fluff. Promise!

Anyway thank you all so much for reading, voting and commenting. And, oh my god, we've nearly reached 1.5k reads and eek! it makes me feel really happy.

Also, I've been thinking about writing a Oneshots book so, if you want me to do that then let me know!

But stay smiley, my Cheshire Cats!!

Xx