Prologue

Year 1516
Peponi village

Dusk was quickly approaching, the sun cast an orange glow on the earth. Miles away in a little village, birds were retreating to their nest, the herds were back in their pens. Overall everything was seemingly quiet, peaceful in the little village,until it wasn't.

The man came in and looked at his wife frantically.

"They're here already" he said to the woman at his wife's legs. The midwife's eyes widened and looked at the woman

"Abigail,you have to start pushing" she encouraged.

The man looked outside the window,his gaze met with the orange flames,he could practically feel the heat from the fire.

He went beside his wife and held her hand
"My love you have to give it your all, they're upon us we have to save our child".

Abigail filled with courage nodded at the midwife and used all of her might to deliver her baby.

"It's a girl" said the teary eyed midwife, just as she was about to give the mother her baby a loud bang sounded outside.

"Open this door right now!"

The man stood up,"Give her to me".

Abigail let out a sob,knowing that this was the last time she'd ever see her daughter.The midwife handed the baby, swaddled with numerous clothes to conceal her existence to her father.

"David,!" the man looked at his wife "make sure she's safe" he nodded and left through the back door just as there was a crash at the front.

David ran,he knew he must get away,get her to safety. Everywhere he looked everything was turned to ashes, people he knew were on the ground dead. He held his daughter closer as if to shield from the sight.

"Hey you !", he didn't wait to see if he was the one being called he just ran and ran and ran some more.

"Joseph! Joseph!" he called out after arriving at his destination.

"David? is that you ?" the voice in the shadows came out and an outline of a mountain like man came forth.

"My friend,I thought you'd never come",the man expressed his fear

"We have no time Joseph,you must take her",he said handing over the baby.

"Her?" the man asked as he unbundled the now awake baby staring up at him with soft brown eyes.

".....must go back for Abigail",the man came out of his thoughts and looked at his friend shocked.

"David! it's suicide going back I can practically see your village from this hill and it's covered in smoke!" he said bewildered.

"Do not worry about that ,I just want you to promise me you'll protect her.Promise me Joseph that you'll keep her safe and treat her like your own",David said as he gripped Joseph's shoulders.

The man nodded," I promise on my life I'll keep her safe,but David you must come with me it's too dangerous to go back".

He stepped back shaking his head "I cannot do that I must go back to Abigail",Said David as he avoided Joseph's gaze.

He didn't want to acknowledge what he already knew,that his wife may be dead.

"I have to go back now", he caressed his daughters head and kissed her as a tear fell on her head.

"Take care of her for me,I know it's alot to ask but can you give her, her mother's family name?", he asked and Joseph nodded.

Taking one last look at the baby he turned. Joseph just watched as his friend's figure disappeared in the night toward direction of the burning flames.

His heart broke because he knew he'd never see his friend again, sniffling,he looked at the sleeping baby vowing to give her his all and also fulfill the promise he made to his friend.

With that he looked at the burning village below him,turned around and disappeared in the shadows just as he appeared.