Embarrassment

I stared at the paper, dumbfounded. This woman, who I thought hated me, had written those words to me.

Henry
I don't know how to say it, but I want you. I don't understand why, but ever since we met I haven't been able to get you out of my mind.

A short note, yes, but it provoked such vivid thoughts to my imagination. I looked at Evelyn- who had given up on trying to keep the note away from me- only to see her hands covering her face.

"Evelyn," I began.

"No, I don't want to hear another word," her voice shook.

I grabbed her hand and gently moved it out of the way and was stunned to see a few tears escaping before she snatched her hand away and covered her face once more.

"Evelyn," I repeated. "I am so sorry. I didn't realize-"

"No, of course you didn't," she snapped. "Get out of my house."

"You want me to leave?"

"Yes- please. I think you've embarrassed me enough for one day."

I set the note on her kitchen table, waiting for her to move or speak or do anything, but after a moment I knew she was right.

I walked over to the front door, looking back only once.

"Miss Grant," I said, clearing my throat. "I hope to see you tomorrow morning. And - I'm sorry."

Evelyn nodded, face still covered by hands, and I took it as a sign to leave.

As I drove home I once again wrestled with my thoughts.

What the fuck, Henry? Even by joking standards, you took that too far. You embarrassed her, and you did it on purpose.

No no I swear I didn't mean to I just wanted to know so badly.

It wasn't for you to know, Henry. You should've let her keep her secret until she was ready to tell you - if she ever wanted to.

My thoughts were intruded upon by the image of Evelyn; hair damp and down, longer than I had thought it was, casual outfit with no makeup, and the smell of wildflowers.

But I want you.

I couldn't get the thought out of my mind. This woman, who I assumed didn't like me at all, who had even commented negatively about me - she wanted me.

I arrived at home, and as I got out of my car I noticed my own arousal.

"What if I want you too, Evelyn," I whispered to myself before turning in for the night.