Reality

I woke up in a daze. I quickly glanced at my watch, realizing it was only 3:12AM. I heaved a sigh and sat up in bed.

I looked to my right, where Evelyn had fallen asleep beside me, only to find that she was gone. I turned on the lamp on the nightstand, seeing that the three hair pins she had removed from her hair were also gone, as were all of her clothes.

After a moment of confusion, I realized she had left some time before I awoke. I wasn't sure why she had left, but I wasn't about to call her at 3 in the morning to ask. I took a deep breath and raked my hands through my hair, finding it drenched with sweat.

I guess I should shower, I thought to myself as I drifted back to sleep.

My alarm went off at 6AM, pulling me out of my dreams. I slowly made my way to the shower and laid my head against the wall for a few minutes before washing my hair and body.

I got dressed slowly, the events of the night before reeling through my mind. The way Evelyn smelled, the way she looked, the way she tasted, the way she felt-

I was pulled out of my own mind again by the chime of my phone reminder. I was expected to be at work soon and needed to get going if I was going to make it on time.

For once, I was excited to go to work. I hoped Evelyn would be there; smiling and laughing, enjoying herself. I fantasized about her guard coming down. Her vulnerability, albeit elusive, was one of the sexiest things about her. I was almost sad at the idea that she would guard it so carefully.

I pulled into the parking garage and made my way into the building. Once the elevator stopped on my floor I took a deep breath to steady my nerves before walking into the lobby.

"Good morning, Mr. Cavill," Arnold said cheerfully from his desk.

"Good morning, Mr. Cache. Anything to report?" I responded.

"No, not really. I was hoping I could leave early today though, I have a date tonight," Arnold replied sheepishly.

"By all means," I smiled. Arnold was a shy and frail young man who had probably only been on three dates in his 24 years.

Arnold flashed a toothy grin before returning his attention to his computer in front of him.

I opened my office door nervously; part of me afraid that Evelyn wouldn't be there.

"Morning, Mr. Cavill," Evelyn spoke from her desk, not looking up. "Your coffee is on your desk, your schedule has been updated, and I've drafted the memo for the office- it only needs your signature."

"Thank you, Miss Grant," I smiled, but she didn't return the gesture. Puzzled, I sat at my desk reading the memo she had drafted about an upcoming charity event. As usual, Evelyn's work was impeccable.

"Miss Grant," I called. "This is fine work, thank you."

She nodded without looking up. I was definitely confused on why we were suddenly not friendly with one another, but I wrote it off as keeping our workplace professional.

I guess we're back in reality, I thought glumly. Seeing the side of Evelyn that I saw the previous night, I thought maybe she would steal glances at me, maybe that blush would return to her cheeks. But she looked as put together as she always had; the tight raven bun, the pressed pantsuits, the bold makeup, not a hair or eyelash out of place.

The memory of her lipstick smeared across both of our faces flashed in my mind, making my breath hitch slightly. I sighed deeply, but even then, Evelyn never looked up from her screen.

"Did you get home alright?" I asked timidly. Of course she got home just fine, look at how put together she is.

Evelyn nodded.

"Are we not talking anymore?" I furrowed my brow.

"Sir- Mr. Cavill," she sighed. "I hardly think this is an appropriate work conversation."

"Well, you're still allowed to talk to me, you know."

To my dismay Evelyn rolled her eyes and continued to work.

I shrugged and continued doing my own work, hoping that maybe things would be different outside of the office.